Feb 11, 2011, 8:24 AM EDT
The Wilpons and the bankruptcy trustee of the Madoff case are having a daily back and forth in the papers. The judge is probably getting tired of it. Yesterday he did something about it:
A federal judge on Thursday appointed former New York Governor Mario M. Cuomo to try to resolve the $1 billion dispute between the owners of the Mets and the trustee representing victims of Bernard L. Madoff’s financial fraud.
If it makes any difference, Cuomo is a Yankees fan.
Of greater significance is that this is an ordered mediation, not one the parties agreed to. In my experience those sorts of mediations don’t go very well. But my experience also involves way more $250,000 cases than billion dollar cases — in fact, it involves zero billion dollar cases — so who knows? My sense is that this move is more aimed at calming the waters right now than anything else and drawing the media’s fire to a much more famous target in Cuomo. Not a bad idea, actually.
Now I’m going to surf around the Internet in an effort to find some baseball news that has nothing to do with the legal system, because that’s way more life-affirming.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (247)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)