Feb 12, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
Roger Clemens made a paid appearance yesterday at a charity event for the Connecticut Sports Foundation’s annual celebrity dinner and memorabilia auction.
The event was a celebration of the 2000 Subway Series between the Yankees and Mets, so naturally there was plenty of nostalgia on the menu. The Rocket wasn’t willing to comment on his upcoming perjury trial or Andy Pettitte’s recent retirement, he did offer a one-liner about his infamous bat throwing incident involving Mike Piazza in Game 2 (courtesy of Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York).
“I just remember my form being really good when I threw the bat. My form was impeccable. I fielded it perfectly. My arm angle when I whistled it on-deck was a little low.”
Oh, wait. You mean if your arm angle wasn’t so low you would have punctured Piazza with a broken bat shard? Nothing but class, this guy.
I’ve often wondered what would have happened if Clemens did indeed hit Piazza with that bat. Would he have been thrown out of the game in the first inning? Probably. Of course, Clemens went on to strike out nine over eight shutout frames. The Mets made things interesting by scoring fifth runs in the ninth, but the Yankees were able to hold on 6-5 and take a 2-0 lead in the series. They would eventually win the World Series in five games.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 21
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 22
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 162
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (162)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)