Feb 12, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Roger Clemens made a paid appearance yesterday at a charity event for the Connecticut Sports Foundation’s annual celebrity dinner and memorabilia auction.
The event was a celebration of the 2000 Subway Series between the Yankees and Mets, so naturally there was plenty of nostalgia on the menu. The Rocket wasn’t willing to comment on his upcoming perjury trial or Andy Pettitte’s recent retirement, he did offer a one-liner about his infamous bat throwing incident involving Mike Piazza in Game 2 (courtesy of Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York).
“I just remember my form being really good when I threw the bat. My form was impeccable. I fielded it perfectly. My arm angle when I whistled it on-deck was a little low.”
Oh, wait. You mean if your arm angle wasn’t so low you would have punctured Piazza with a broken bat shard? Nothing but class, this guy.
I’ve often wondered what would have happened if Clemens did indeed hit Piazza with that bat. Would he have been thrown out of the game in the first inning? Probably. Of course, Clemens went on to strike out nine over eight shutout frames. The Mets made things interesting by scoring fifth runs in the ninth, but the Yankees were able to hold on 6-5 and take a 2-0 lead in the series. They would eventually win the World Series in five games.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 0
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 54
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)