Feb 12, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT
Tony Gwynn recently discussed his recovery from cancer with Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times.
As you may remember, the Hall of Famer was diagnosed with cancer of the parotid gland last August. We learned last month that radiation and chemotherapy forced him to use a walker to get around, but Gwynn tells Hernandez that surgery to remove a tumor also resulted in paralysis of the right side of his face, complicating his ability to smile, laugh or blink with his right eye. Gywnn estimates that he lost about 85 pounds during treatment.
“Baseball-wise, I knew if I put in the work I was going to get results,” Gwynn said. “Not knowing how it’s going to turn out, that’s the hard part. After being in control 20 years of your career and in nine years of coaching, now you ain’t in control anymore.”
The good news is that Gwynn told Hernandez that “things are about back to normal.” He has begun a workout program and recently underwent surgery to correct a back issue that has bothered him for over a year and a half. Earlier this week, he returned to his office at his alma mater San Diego State, where he has been the baseball coach since 2001. Gwynn plans to be on the bench when the team opens their season on February 18. He also intends to return to the broadcast booth for Padres games this season.
“I haven’t had any setbacks whatsoever,” Gwynn said. “I’m getting control of my face again.”
If there’s any story you read today, make sure it’s this one.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)