Feb 13, 2011, 12:50 PM EDT
The Cardinals signed veteran outfielder Jim Edmonds to a minor league contract earlier this month and gave him an invitation to spring training.
He doesn’t have a guaranteed roster spot and will have to earn his way on to the big league roster with a strong showing in Grapefruit League games. It will be a difficult task, made even more difficult by the fact that he is still in recovery mode from surgery on his Achilles tendon.
According to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Cardinals manager Tony La Russa admitted Sunday in spring camp that Edmonds is not quite ready.
“I know the last time I talked to him, he was hobbled,” said La Russa. “You’ve got to see when he’s available to show what he can do and then you start figuring. But the last time I heard, he still was not ready.”
Maybe Edmonds will be open to beginning the season in Triple-A Memphis or on the big league disabled list. The 40-year-old is sitting on 393 career home runs at the moment and hoping to eclipse 400 before filing retirement papers. If he’s healthy, the Cardinals will use him as a backup to Lance Berkman in right field. If he’s not healthy, Jon Jay should have a major league roster spot.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)