Feb 13, 2011, 12:50 PM EDT
The Cardinals signed veteran outfielder Jim Edmonds to a minor league contract earlier this month and gave him an invitation to spring training.
He doesn’t have a guaranteed roster spot and will have to earn his way on to the big league roster with a strong showing in Grapefruit League games. It will be a difficult task, made even more difficult by the fact that he is still in recovery mode from surgery on his Achilles tendon.
According to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Cardinals manager Tony La Russa admitted Sunday in spring camp that Edmonds is not quite ready.
“I know the last time I talked to him, he was hobbled,” said La Russa. “You’ve got to see when he’s available to show what he can do and then you start figuring. But the last time I heard, he still was not ready.”
Maybe Edmonds will be open to beginning the season in Triple-A Memphis or on the big league disabled list. The 40-year-old is sitting on 393 career home runs at the moment and hoping to eclipse 400 before filing retirement papers. If he’s healthy, the Cardinals will use him as a backup to Lance Berkman in right field. If he’s not healthy, Jon Jay should have a major league roster spot.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 39
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 21
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)