Feb 13, 2011, 10:03 AM EDT
The Padres are ready to turn Mat Latos loose.
The 23-year-old right-hander posted a stellar 2.92 ERA and 1.08 WHIP across 31 starts last season as a big league sophomore, striking out 189 batters and walking only 50.
His strikeout total might have been even higher and his rate stats might have fallen even further, but the Padres played it safe in September and October, finding extra pockets of rest between starts for him down the stretch and keeping his pitch counts low. He made only one start of six innings or more after September 7.
That will all change this year.
Padres manager Bud Black told Bill Center of the San Diego Union-Tribune on Saturday that Latos will not be limited in any way this season. At least, not by the San Diego coaching staff.
“Not to the point that there were last year, when it was a topic from the first day of spring training,” said the skipper. “There will be no hard numbers in regards to his innings pitched.”
In the recently launched Rotoworld Fantasy Draft Guide, we have Latos winning 13 games against a 3.15 ERA, 1.13 WHIP and 185 strikeouts. Check out the Draft Guide for over 1,000 more profiles and projections.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 153
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 132
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (154)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (132)