Feb 13, 2011, 10:03 AM EDT
The Padres are ready to turn Mat Latos loose.
The 23-year-old right-hander posted a stellar 2.92 ERA and 1.08 WHIP across 31 starts last season as a big league sophomore, striking out 189 batters and walking only 50.
His strikeout total might have been even higher and his rate stats might have fallen even further, but the Padres played it safe in September and October, finding extra pockets of rest between starts for him down the stretch and keeping his pitch counts low. He made only one start of six innings or more after September 7.
That will all change this year.
Padres manager Bud Black told Bill Center of the San Diego Union-Tribune on Saturday that Latos will not be limited in any way this season. At least, not by the San Diego coaching staff.
“Not to the point that there were last year, when it was a topic from the first day of spring training,” said the skipper. “There will be no hard numbers in regards to his innings pitched.”
In the recently launched Rotoworld Fantasy Draft Guide, we have Latos winning 13 games against a 3.15 ERA, 1.13 WHIP and 185 strikeouts. Check out the Draft Guide for over 1,000 more profiles and projections.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 5
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 99
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 17
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 28
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 31
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 18
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 85
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (99)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)