Feb 14, 2011, 4:40 PM EDT
Alex Rodriguez is not great at P.R. There’s no disputing that. He’s had a couple of flubs. He’s been involved in a few controversies. He has occasionally shot himself in the foot.
But does he really deserve the treatment he gets from Sports Illustrated today? The august S.I. goes with a slide show, outlining what are supposed to be A-Rod’s “most embarrassing moments.” A great many of the “incidents” however, don’t really qualify. Among them:
- Being demoted to eighth in the batting order in the 2006 ALDS. All players slump. But really: isn’t putting the mid-decade version of A-Rod eighth in the order more embarrassing for Joe Torre than A-Rod? It was a classic panic move by a guy who is lauded for being cool. How is that A-Rod’s problem?
- The “Ha!” or “I got it!” thing in Toronto when A-Rod yelled something to Blue Jays third baseman Howie Clark to make him give up on a pop fly. Depending on whose story you believe it may not be the best sportsmanship, but A-Rod has his share of “all is fair in love and war” defenders. Many of the people mad at him for it were unwritten rules fanatics, and you know how I feel about the so-called unwritten rules. Not his finest hour, but I bet that stuff happens more often than we think.
- The opt-out: announcing A-Rod’s opt-out during the 2007 World Series was bad form. But are we sure that was A-Rod’s doing and not Scott Boras’? A-Rod famously negotiated his contract a few months later without Boras’ help. And he has since fired the guy. Just sayin!
- Dating Madonna: Yeah, how silly for a guy to be interested in a woman who was held up as a universal sex symbol for most of his adolescence.
- Dating Kate Hudson: Yeah, how silly for a guy to be interested in a woman who, for a good while there, was considered America’s sweetheart.
- Dating Cameron Diaz: Yeah, how silly for a guy to be interested in one of Hollywood’s leading actresses.
- Being trashed in Joe Torre’s book: Again, how does Torre’s failure to keep in the clubhouse that which should have stayed in the clubhouse A-Rod’s fault? The facts aren’t flattering, no, but they pale compared to Torre’s transgression in my mind.
- The centaur paining: Maybe I’m wrong here, but I thought that was debunked. Anyone?
- The Dallas Braden thing: Maybe I missed the meeting when this was all decided, but last I checked everyone thought Braden was being the jackwagon here.
I’ll give S.I. the steroids stuff (gotta hang your head when you’re caught cheating), the mirror-kiss photo in details (whoa) and the front-page-of-the-tabloid-with-the-stripper thing (gotta hang your head when you’re caught cheating), but it seems that most of the stuff on their list is either much ado about nothing or really someone else’s problem.
And really, there aren’t many things on that list that are as embarrassing as a respected publication like Sports Illustrated going all Bleacher Report with a theres-no-there-there photo slide show in an effort to maximize traffic by virtue of that which it claims is embarrassing.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17