Feb 14, 2011, 11:13 AM EDT
Albert Pujols and the Cardinals are reportedly no closer to agreeing on a long-term contract, but the two sides have at least agreed to push back the superstar first baseman’s self-imposed deadline for negotiations by one day.
Pujols initially told the team he would cut off all talks Tuesday, but because Hall of Famer and Cardinals legend Stan Musial is scheduled to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom from Barack Obama in a ceremony at the White House tomorrow Pujols has adjusted the deadline to Wednesday at noon Florida time.
Giving the stage to Stan The Man is a nice gesture by Pujols toward his fellow three-time MVP, but most reports suggest that the extra time won’t do much except allow Cardinals fans another day to fret. Last night Bob Nightengale of USA Today reported that Pujols turned down the Cardinals’ recent offer and he’s said all along that he’s determined to become a free agent if an agreement can’t be reached by the deadline.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 99
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 54
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1