Albert Pujols and the Cardinals push back deadline by one day

Feb 14, 2011, 11:13 AM EDT

St. Louis Cardinals v Cincinnati Reds Getty Images

Albert Pujols and the Cardinals are reportedly no closer to agreeing on a long-term contract, but the two sides have at least agreed to push back the superstar first baseman’s self-imposed deadline for negotiations by one day.

Pujols initially told the team he would cut off all talks Tuesday, but because Hall of Famer and Cardinals legend Stan Musial is scheduled to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom from Barack Obama in a ceremony at the White House tomorrow Pujols has adjusted the deadline to Wednesday at noon Florida time.

Giving the stage to Stan The Man is a nice gesture by Pujols toward his fellow three-time MVP, but most reports suggest that the extra time won’t do much except allow Cardinals fans another day to fret. Last night Bob Nightengale of USA Today reported that Pujols turned down the Cardinals’ recent offer and he’s said all along that he’s determined to become a free agent if an agreement can’t be reached by the deadline.

1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 14, 2011 at 11:20 AM

This would lead me to believe that this deadline is absolute. Why move it otherwise? In other words, if there was any chance of getting a deal done during the season, this seems to prove that to be impossible.

2. sknut - Feb 14, 2011 at 11:23 AM

I just wonder if the Cards came at him with an offer that was much closer to what he wants if that would change anything. It seems that the real deadline is opening day, but I suppose on the other hand if they did come to him with an offer, he might be peeved becasue he did lay out a deadline.

3. BC - Feb 14, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Either The Cardinals re-sign him, or Texas comes in and blows everyone off the map and grabs him. You heard it here first.

• phukyouk - Feb 14, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Second. I called that 2 weeks ago.

4. mrznyc - Feb 14, 2011 at 11:49 PM

After all the talk, all the ho-ha, all the posturing, all the justifications, all the ego and me-me-me nonsense, the contract will be paid by you and me. There is no benevolent fairy god-mother who is going to step up and underwrite anyone’s baseball contract – You and me, that’s where the money comes from.

• spudchukar - Feb 15, 2011 at 12:47 AM

And I am happy to pay it. Players are finally receiving their just reward.

Three legends off to Cooperstown