Feb 14, 2011, 9:03 AM EDT
This is quote of the day territory, but it’s a bit early and lots of players will be talking to the media today, so we’ll hold off on giving it any awards.
Jonathan Papelbon talked yesterday about how he’s approaching 2011. The key for him is focus. Well, not exactly, because he kept saying that “focus” is the wrong word. But it is something about his mental approach:
He said it. He admitted the swagger was missing. He was asked about that. “It’s here, yeah,” he said. “It’s here, but I’m talking about building it here in Fort Myers and through spring training, building it up and taking into the season with a swagger that is bullet-proof.”
“Does that make sense?” he asked.
Well, considering that no one has ever satisfactorily explained the concept of “swagger” to me that wasn’t necessarily ex-post-facto — no one who loses or fails ever has “swagger” — no, it does not make much sense.
All I know for sure is that if all of this means that Papelbon is going to be more demonstrative and fist-pumpy on the mound this year than he usually is, God help us all.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (85)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)