Can “swagger” be “bullet-proof?” Ask Jonathan Papelbon.

Feb 14, 2011, 9:03 AM EDT

swagger wagon

This is quote of the day territory, but it’s a bit early and lots of players will be talking to the media today, so we’ll hold off on giving it any awards.

Jonathan Papelbon talked yesterday about how he’s approaching 2011.  The key for him is focus.  Well, not exactly, because he kept saying that “focus” is the wrong word.  But it is something about his mental approach:

He said it. He admitted the swagger was missing. He was asked about that. “It’s here, yeah,” he said. “It’s here, but I’m talking about building it here in Fort Myers and through spring training, building it up and taking into the season with a swagger that is bullet-proof.”

He paused.

“Does that make sense?” he asked.

Well, considering that no one has ever satisfactorily explained the concept of “swagger” to me that wasn’t necessarily ex-post-facto — no one who loses or fails ever has “swagger” — no, it does not make much sense.

All I know for sure is that if all of this means that Papelbon is going to be more demonstrative and fist-pumpy on the mound this year than he usually is, God help us all.

1. BC - Feb 14, 2011 at 9:12 AM

Crapelbon is about as sharp as a sack of wet cement. When his ERA is 5.00 with 6 blown saves at the end of May I’ll be having a good laugh.

• newhampshirepatriot - Feb 14, 2011 at 12:10 PM

BC we all need a good laugh – what is your ERA?

• Jonny 5 - Feb 14, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Eating Ratio Average. The scale is 1:1 one man eats 1 man’s worth of food. BC is at 1:2.35 Eating ratio, on average. But he’s working on it, he’s slowing down a bit, and should be free of the Manziere by June.

2. Jonny 5 - Feb 14, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Swagger
    [swag-er]

–verb (used without object)
    1. to walk or strut with a defiant or insolent air.
    2. to boast or brag noisily.

Related Words for : swagger
    groovy, swaggie, swagman, cock, prance

Papelbon will be prancing like a cock. Or a groovy, swaggie, swagman. It seems……

• klbader - Feb 14, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Epic.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 14, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Insolent is a nice word to use there.

Maybe he’ll just crimp to the mound every night.

3. bigharold - Feb 14, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Last year Papelbon was running his mouth about watching his playoff performance from the year before for motivation. This year it’s getting his swagger back. Hey, .. whatever gets you through the night. If he continues to throw cookies down the middle it won’t make a difference.

4. marshmallowsnake - Feb 14, 2011 at 12:54 PM

I think I am the only Sox fan who does not care for this guy. He wore a shirt that said doubt me to his first day of camp…In may, he will need one that reads, “doubting myself.”

Boston media created this monster, and now we all must live with it.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 14, 2011 at 2:17 PM

You’re not the only fan.

• marshmallowsnake - Feb 14, 2011 at 4:13 PM

All my friends back in Massachusetts love the guy! I do not get it? His attitude is horrid, and he is overrated!

5. scatterbrian - Feb 14, 2011 at 12:55 PM

That’s rad, before you started posting videos, I pictured you looking like the Sienna Dad.

6. cur68 - Feb 14, 2011 at 1:54 PM

I love JP. He’s the best guy to get someone interested in baseball. He is such a nut, you can get your 10 year old ADD nephew to sit down and watch this loon because guaranteed he’ll do something memorable on the mound. I thank every deity ever worshiped by man and monkey that JP is gonna ‘swagger’ more. He’ll put bums in seats the same way a horny chimp draws a big crowd at the zoo. Everybody wants to see who or what will cop one from the big ape. You go boy! Swagger like a mo fo!

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS