Charlie Manuel has set a contract deadline too

Feb 14, 2011, 1:56 PM EDT

Charlie Manuel

A really good manager isn’t as important to his team as The Best Player in Baseball is to his, but like Albert Pujols, Charlie Manuel has set a deadline for negotiations to extend his expiring contract: Opening Day. After that, he doesn’t want it to be a distraction.

I wouldn’t exactly view this as dire. Indeed, I’ll be shocked if Manuel wasn’t locked up to an extension within the next couple of weeks.  I mean really: someone identify a single knock on the guy. You can’t. That is, unless you count him getting that restraining order against me because my man-crush on him is getting a bit too uncomfortable. But that’s more my issue than the Phillies’.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Feb 14, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Nobody cares about this right now…we’re all sitting here with bro-ners watching the greatest rotation in baseball history.

2. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 14, 2011 at 2:01 PM

They’ll sign him. I don’t think this signifies more than a formality.

3. BC - Feb 14, 2011 at 2:12 PM

If they win 130 games and take the Series, maybe he retires….

4. Chris Fiorentino - Feb 14, 2011 at 2:16 PM

I love Uncle Charlie as much as anyone. But he doesn’t fit in many other teams. He’s a player’s coach and that works when you have veteran players. He generally blows as a gameday manager though. He needs to stop listening to them so much, pull his starters a little earlier during the season, and for God’s sake REST CHASE UTLEY ONCE A WEEK!!!

• Jonny 5 - Feb 14, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Man, I think I just agreed with you in regards to Charlie. Well besides the “blows” part. It’s against my very fiber to say stuff like that about him.

• Chris Fiorentino - Feb 14, 2011 at 2:39 PM

I agree…blows may have been a bit harsh. I should have said “Uncle Charlie’s game-day managing leaves something to be desired.”

• Jonny 5 - Feb 14, 2011 at 3:23 PM

LOL!!!

5. Jonny 5 - Feb 14, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Charlie seems like my grandpop. The nice imaginary one who didn’t smell like crap and cuss, or tell me how nice my grandmoms tits still were.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 14, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Damn, man!!! I just cringed with that.

6. Utley's Hair - Feb 14, 2011 at 2:25 PM

I want to see exactly what Cholly said to make anybody think this—his quotes could very well be misconstrued.

7. takemytalentstosoutheuclid - Feb 14, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Same thing happened when he was with Cleveland and he ended up quitting at the all star break. Extend him now!

8. xmatt0926x - Feb 14, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Agree about Manuel’s benefits and limitations as manager. People who watch the phillies every night know that it’s well understood that his strengths are as a players manager which works well with a veteran filled team. It’s also well accepted by the writers who follow the team and the fans that his gameday decisions can be strange here and there, especially when it comes to the bullpen decisions and resting players. a perfect example was last season when Lidge had pitched several games in a row and mentioned to the media that he was sore (i forget if it was the knee or elbow). so that nights game the Phillies are up by like 5 runs and who comes out to pitch the 9th? You guessed it. After the last pitch the cameras were on Manuel and Lidge and Lidge was obviously upset. These types of odd decisions happen throughout the season with charlie. I think his gameday decision making was questioned when he was in Cleveland too. This is why when he was hired the brass loaded the bench with ex-managers like Jimmy Williams, Davey Lopes, etc.

• drunkenhooliganism - Feb 14, 2011 at 6:22 PM

When you create situations that never happened as examples of Manuel’s questionable decision making, it makes your point even weaker.

To be clear, I’m saying that nothing even remotely close to the scenario you created happened last season.

• xmatt0926x - Feb 14, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Ohh great. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I must have been watching a different game and the beat writers that questioned it the next day as well must have also been covering a different game. I like Manuel too . That doesn’t mean that if someone is critical of him that you have to stick your thumb in your mouth and act like its impossible that it could have happened. The situation I brought up absolutely did happen and it was brought up by at least 2 writers the next day. It’s merely 1 item that I mentioned. It doesn’t mean that I’m totally bashing the guy. I’m not. But again, thanks for being so clear that what I mentioned absolutely did not happen. That was brilliant.

• drunkenhooliganism - Feb 14, 2011 at 9:35 PM

I was sure that it didn’t happen. But I looked it up to confirm. And now I’m positive that it didn’t happen. We’re both Phillies’ fans, so please look up Lidge’s game log and tell me what you’re talking about.

• xmatt0926x - Feb 14, 2011 at 11:15 PM

I can’t believe I’m even continuing this rediculous argument. What exactly could you look up to be able to totally deny the scenario I mentioned?? Have you looked up every sports article quoting Lidge where he talks about being sore and needing to get a break? Did Lidge come into no games that didn’t call for an oft-injured closer to be used because the game was out of hand? i have no idea why you would insist that Im making this up or why it’s even important that we continue this. Im sorry of you don’t believe me or why it offends you so much. I don’t know what to tell you. Again, Lidge was obviously laboring during a set of appearances and he was being asked about his prior elbow and knee injuries. He’d pitched in many games in a relatively short period of time. He made his quotes about maybe needing a break for a game or 2. That very nights game went to the 9th inning in a obviously non-save situation and Lidge was brought in. The decision was so odd that Larry Anderson said “I’m not sure why Charlie would use Lidge in this situation” and he alluded to Brad’s recent quotes.But I’m likely making that up too right? On that nights highlights on Comcast they showed the end of the game after the phillies win and Brad and Charlie were walking on the field after all the handshakes and they were having what appeared to be an agitated conversation and the broadcasters were speculating if Brad was upset at being used in a blowout after saying he needed a break.Why do I remember all of this? Because the next day several co-workers and I discussed the beat writers take in the Daily news where the situation was mentioned. This isn’t Watergate and I’m done with the argument. If I’m making all of this up as far as your concerned then fine. As you said we are both Phillies fans and I am not trashing charlie. We all like charlie and his folksy ways. I was merely giving an example to go along with the other posters who also said that his reputation is that he’s not considered to be a great gameday decision maker. I promise you that next time I will consult with you before I comment on something I heard or watched during the season to make sure I really saw or heard it. Hope thats ok with you.

• xmatt0926x - Feb 14, 2011 at 11:42 PM

Ohh, and on the phillies post-game show that I mentioned on Comcast sportsnet, Ricky Botallico also questioned the move. Please contact him and tell him that no, none of this ever happened so he should have never questioned it to begin with!!

• Bochy's Head/Timmy's Bong - Feb 15, 2011 at 12:28 AM

@xmatt
        Your fellow Phillies fan may be both a drunk and a hooligan, but he’s not wrong. Shout as much as you like, but the scenario you described did not happen. My curiosity aroused, I also checked the game logs. Lidge pitched 4 games in a row (there was one off day in there) once last year… all four games were save situations. He pitched three games in a row just two other times, and in both cases the third game was a save situation. So, to reiterate, what you said happened… did not happen.

My best guess would be that you are referring to the game of Sept. 15. After getting the save a night before, Lidge was brought in to pitch the 9th with the Phillies leading 10-4. But prior to the night before, Lidge had sat for 8 days with elbow soreness. So while you might question the decision to pitch a guy coming back from elbow soreness on back-to-back nights, you can also argue that with about 2 weeks to the start of the playoffs, Manuel might want to see if his closer was capable of that which you want your playoff closer to be able to do.

In short, the situation was more nuanced than you portrayed it. And more importantly, your facts were wrong. Which makes them not facts at all. And drunkenhooliganism simply called you on it.

• drunkenhooliganism - Feb 15, 2011 at 8:15 AM

If the game that you’re referring to was the game of Sept 15th and all of the sportscasters and analysts and Post Game Live guys were criticizing it, they were all wrong. Because after that game, Lidge pitched 11 games, 11 innings and allowed Zero runs including the playoffs.

9. Jonny 5 - Feb 14, 2011 at 3:47 PM

And damn if he doesn’t Have Roy H pitching way too many innings. That scares me.

10. heyblueyoustink - Feb 14, 2011 at 4:16 PM

I think like craig said, his track record kind of speaks for itself……plus he actually made that nutrasystem pyramid scheme actually work for him….I give him kudos

11. megary - Feb 14, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Has there ever been a manager who’s gameday decisions were not questioned? I’m not saying Charlie has never made a questionable move, but name me one – just one – who hasn’t. If his decision making was that bad, he’d have been gone a long time ago.

12. crankyfrankie - Feb 14, 2011 at 6:27 PM

But a large number of his game day decisions are what makes him a players manager. Staying with pitchers too long, not pinch hitting for a starter and using his closer even if he is slumping is the kind of loyalty he shows to his players which is why they play well for him. He stuck with both Howard and Rollins when they were slumping and played Utley cause Utley said he was fine. This is the package you get with Charlie. I like this package. I said this package not his package.

13. schmedley69 - Feb 14, 2011 at 8:01 PM

The Phillies have shown in the past that they will let coaches walk when they ask for too much money (Jimy Williams, Davey Lopes). If Charlie is hell-bent on being the highest paid manager in MLB, I don’t think that he will be managing the Phillies in 2012. They are already grooming Ryne Sandberg to be the next manager, and if Charlie doesn’t drop his demands, they will just move up the timetable. I like Charlie, but he is nothing special as a strategic manager. He’s a good people person, but I don’t know if that is enough to justify being the highest paid manager in baseball.

14. crazimitch - Feb 15, 2011 at 5:47 AM

Contact the Phillies beatvwriters and they will likely agree that Charlie is generally believed to be a poor strategy guy by the Phillies faithful. He’s has made a number of odd decisions over the years. So seriously, contact Bill Conlin, he’s typically very happy to answer questions when asked through email. He’s surprisingly approachable. Also google “fire Charlie Manuel and you get a long list of his boneheaded decisions over the years.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate