Feb 14, 2011, 1:56 PM EST
A really good manager isn’t as important to his team as The Best Player in Baseball is to his, but like Albert Pujols, Charlie Manuel has set a deadline for negotiations to extend his expiring contract: Opening Day. After that, he doesn’t want it to be a distraction.
I wouldn’t exactly view this as dire. Indeed, I’ll be shocked if Manuel wasn’t locked up to an extension within the next couple of weeks. I mean really: someone identify a single knock on the guy. You can’t. That is, unless you count him getting that restraining order against me because my man-crush on him is getting a bit too uncomfortable. But that’s more my issue than the Phillies’.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 10
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (92)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)