Feb 14, 2011, 1:56 PM EST
A really good manager isn’t as important to his team as The Best Player in Baseball is to his, but like Albert Pujols, Charlie Manuel has set a deadline for negotiations to extend his expiring contract: Opening Day. After that, he doesn’t want it to be a distraction.
I wouldn’t exactly view this as dire. Indeed, I’ll be shocked if Manuel wasn’t locked up to an extension within the next couple of weeks. I mean really: someone identify a single knock on the guy. You can’t. That is, unless you count him getting that restraining order against me because my man-crush on him is getting a bit too uncomfortable. But that’s more my issue than the Phillies’.
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 45
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 97
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 125
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 36
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (109)