Feb 14, 2011, 1:56 PM EDT
A really good manager isn’t as important to his team as The Best Player in Baseball is to his, but like Albert Pujols, Charlie Manuel has set a deadline for negotiations to extend his expiring contract: Opening Day. After that, he doesn’t want it to be a distraction.
I wouldn’t exactly view this as dire. Indeed, I’ll be shocked if Manuel wasn’t locked up to an extension within the next couple of weeks. I mean really: someone identify a single knock on the guy. You can’t. That is, unless you count him getting that restraining order against me because my man-crush on him is getting a bit too uncomfortable. But that’s more my issue than the Phillies’.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 40
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 29
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 78
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week (80)