Feb 14, 2011, 12:18 PM EDT
History suggests that players who lose arbitration hearings don’t stay with the teams that defeated them for long, but Jered Weaver has “no hard feelings” after a three-person panel sided with the Angels last week.
Weaver requested $8.8 million while the Angels countered at $7.365 million and the team came out on top after what Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times reports was a four-hour hearing.
However, the 28-year-old right-hander doesn’t sound very optimistic about the chances of a long-term contract extension:
From my understanding, talks never went anywhere. I’m open to it. I would love to play for the Angels for a long time. But I don’t want it hanging over my head for the season. Talks are done for now.
Weaver called the hearing “good” and “interesting” and “kind of fun in a way,” so presumably the Angels making a compelling case against his deserving the money he asked for won’t lead to any lingering resentment. At the same time, Weaver did say that “it was one of those things I wish I didn’t have to do, but the game has become very business-oriented and I found out business is business.”
Weaver, whose lack of run support led to a mediocre 13-12 record despite a 3.01 ERA and league-leading 233 strikeouts in 224 innings last season, will be arbitration eligible for the third and final time in 2012. His agent, Scott Boras, has tended to encourage star players to hit the open market as free agents.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 68
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 7
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (86)