Feb 14, 2011, 5:35 PM EDT
I mock Best Shape of His Life stories a lot, but it’s not like they’re the only spring training evergreen story out there. Another big one is “guy who imploded last season says he’s got a new attitude this season.” Ladies and gentlemen, Nyjer Morgan, who says he has refocused and simplified his approach to baseball in the offseason:
“I came into it right, real fresh,” Morgan said. “I was able to basically focus on myself, not anybody else. That’s why I feel like I’m ready. I’m not worried about anybody else. I’m not worried about trying to do this, trying to do that. I got to worry about what Nyjer Morgan is able to do.
“I was just immature last year. I just had to go through some stuff. Some people don’t get a chance to go through what I went through last year. Basically, I just take it as a learning lesson. I feel like I’m a lot better of a person than I was last year at this time. I’m ready to go. I’m happy about my offseason, what I did, how I came in prepared. I’ve got to let my game speak for itself now.”
Morgan was immature last year? You don’t say. And yeah, I can understand the need for simplification: there were times last year when he had so many suspension hearings on one day that he couldn’t possible keep his schedule straight!
But the real issue is the “letting his game speak for itself” part. Morgan had by far his worst season as a major leaguer for the Nats, and I can’t help but think a lot of it was based on the fact that he was treated as an everyday player when, really, he just may not be.
Big year for Morgan. A guy with, I dunno, as “colorful” a personality as his can stick in the league a long time if he produces. If not, his act gets tired fast.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)