Feb 14, 2011, 5:35 PM EDT
I mock Best Shape of His Life stories a lot, but it’s not like they’re the only spring training evergreen story out there. Another big one is “guy who imploded last season says he’s got a new attitude this season.” Ladies and gentlemen, Nyjer Morgan, who says he has refocused and simplified his approach to baseball in the offseason:
“I came into it right, real fresh,” Morgan said. “I was able to basically focus on myself, not anybody else. That’s why I feel like I’m ready. I’m not worried about anybody else. I’m not worried about trying to do this, trying to do that. I got to worry about what Nyjer Morgan is able to do.
“I was just immature last year. I just had to go through some stuff. Some people don’t get a chance to go through what I went through last year. Basically, I just take it as a learning lesson. I feel like I’m a lot better of a person than I was last year at this time. I’m ready to go. I’m happy about my offseason, what I did, how I came in prepared. I’ve got to let my game speak for itself now.”
Morgan was immature last year? You don’t say. And yeah, I can understand the need for simplification: there were times last year when he had so many suspension hearings on one day that he couldn’t possible keep his schedule straight!
But the real issue is the “letting his game speak for itself” part. Morgan had by far his worst season as a major leaguer for the Nats, and I can’t help but think a lot of it was based on the fact that he was treated as an everyday player when, really, he just may not be.
Big year for Morgan. A guy with, I dunno, as “colorful” a personality as his can stick in the league a long time if he produces. If not, his act gets tired fast.
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 1
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 4
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 52
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 30
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)