Feb 14, 2011, 5:35 PM EST
I mock Best Shape of His Life stories a lot, but it’s not like they’re the only spring training evergreen story out there. Another big one is “guy who imploded last season says he’s got a new attitude this season.” Ladies and gentlemen, Nyjer Morgan, who says he has refocused and simplified his approach to baseball in the offseason:
“I came into it right, real fresh,” Morgan said. “I was able to basically focus on myself, not anybody else. That’s why I feel like I’m ready. I’m not worried about anybody else. I’m not worried about trying to do this, trying to do that. I got to worry about what Nyjer Morgan is able to do.
“I was just immature last year. I just had to go through some stuff. Some people don’t get a chance to go through what I went through last year. Basically, I just take it as a learning lesson. I feel like I’m a lot better of a person than I was last year at this time. I’m ready to go. I’m happy about my offseason, what I did, how I came in prepared. I’ve got to let my game speak for itself now.”
Morgan was immature last year? You don’t say. And yeah, I can understand the need for simplification: there were times last year when he had so many suspension hearings on one day that he couldn’t possible keep his schedule straight!
But the real issue is the “letting his game speak for itself” part. Morgan had by far his worst season as a major leaguer for the Nats, and I can’t help but think a lot of it was based on the fact that he was treated as an everyday player when, really, he just may not be.
Big year for Morgan. A guy with, I dunno, as “colorful” a personality as his can stick in the league a long time if he produces. If not, his act gets tired fast.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (125)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)