Feb 14, 2011, 5:35 PM EDT
I mock Best Shape of His Life stories a lot, but it’s not like they’re the only spring training evergreen story out there. Another big one is “guy who imploded last season says he’s got a new attitude this season.” Ladies and gentlemen, Nyjer Morgan, who says he has refocused and simplified his approach to baseball in the offseason:
“I came into it right, real fresh,” Morgan said. “I was able to basically focus on myself, not anybody else. That’s why I feel like I’m ready. I’m not worried about anybody else. I’m not worried about trying to do this, trying to do that. I got to worry about what Nyjer Morgan is able to do.
“I was just immature last year. I just had to go through some stuff. Some people don’t get a chance to go through what I went through last year. Basically, I just take it as a learning lesson. I feel like I’m a lot better of a person than I was last year at this time. I’m ready to go. I’m happy about my offseason, what I did, how I came in prepared. I’ve got to let my game speak for itself now.”
Morgan was immature last year? You don’t say. And yeah, I can understand the need for simplification: there were times last year when he had so many suspension hearings on one day that he couldn’t possible keep his schedule straight!
But the real issue is the “letting his game speak for itself” part. Morgan had by far his worst season as a major leaguer for the Nats, and I can’t help but think a lot of it was based on the fact that he was treated as an everyday player when, really, he just may not be.
Big year for Morgan. A guy with, I dunno, as “colorful” a personality as his can stick in the league a long time if he produces. If not, his act gets tired fast.
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 48
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)