UPDATE: the Mets have NOT released Oliver Perez

Feb 14, 2011, 8:32 AM EDT

Oliver Perez Mets

UPDATE: Scratch that:  I misinterpreted Sherman’s tweet, which read as follows:

All Ollie Perez stories must cease now until one begins: The #Mets today released Ollie Perez … #notinteresting

Sorry for the confusion, but I read that as a declarative sentence: “The Mets today released Ollie Perez.” I thought the “until one begins” part meant “until there’s new news, because he’s gone now.”  Yes, I see now that he was speaking hypothetically. Yes, I’d like a do-over on this one. Yes, speed kills sometimes.  Ugh.

8:27 AM: As spring training officially opens today, I think everyone was getting ready to start writing the “Oliver Perez is fighting for a job” story.  That may now be moot, as Joel Sherman just tweeted that the Mets released Perez.

We’ll update when more info comes in — Sherman’s tweet was a tad cryptic — but if Perez was actually released, Terry Collins and Sandy Alderson just saved themselves a month’s worth of questions about the guy. He can’t start anymore. He got knocked around the Mexican league this winter. His only hope was to catch on as a lefty specialist, but I don’t think anyone was at all confident that he could.

If Perez is gone, it’s good riddance to perhaps the worst contract Omar Minaya ever gave out.  And it’s also good day to a new approach in Mets land: understanding sunk costs and disposing of them in the best way possible.

1. Kevin S. - Feb 14, 2011 at 8:38 AM

And I’m actually going to argue that the Jason Bay contract was and is worse.

2. Gobias Industries - Feb 14, 2011 at 8:49 AM

UPDATE: Wow, this is the worst news I’ve heard all day.

8:27 AM: Wow, this is the best news I’ve heard all day.

3. garryfish - Feb 14, 2011 at 8:59 AM

Give it a couple of weeks and he will be gone

4. pisano - Feb 14, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Does anyone really care?

5. BC - Feb 14, 2011 at 9:07 AM

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
    Jeez, way to throw a wet towel on my fire. Darn Monday was off to a great start and then this.
    PS. Chan Ho Park signing for 50 kajillion dollars 8 or so years ago was a worse signing. But Ollie has to be in the top 5. I’d throw Hampton in there, but he is just a perpetual injury machine, not a producer of suckatude.

6. Jonny 5 - Feb 14, 2011 at 9:08 AM

“perhaps the worst contract Omar Minaya ever gave out”

What? 261 grand per inning with a nearly 7 era isn’t a good deal? Everybody’s a critic…

7. lar @ wezen-ball - Feb 14, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Not your fault, Craig. That was not a well-constructed sentence. All he needed to do was add quotes and maybe the word “with” (the colon is not a good punctuation mark to indicate a hypothetical like that without explicitly declaring the hypothetical).

This would have worked, and would have fit well within Twitter’s character limits: “All Ollie Perez stories must cease now until one begins with “The #Mets today released Ollie Perez…” #notinteresting”

8. phukyouk - Feb 14, 2011 at 9:15 AM

A-Rods contract(S) were worse. as well as the inevitable 9 yr 250Mil the yanks will throw at Pujols.

9. Joe - Feb 14, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Remember, Hardball Talk had it first!

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey