Feb 14, 2011, 3:38 PM EDT
This is interesting. I’m not sure it’s true, but it’s interesting. A couple of guys told Deadspin that they got locked in Camden Yards after a rain postponement last year and turned the place into their own private playground:
Needing a few more drinks, we made our way towards the walking street in the ballpark, Eutaw St. Here is the world famous Boog’s Barbeque Stand where during games you can get draft beer, barbeque, burgers and dogs. Being a bit thirsty and hungry we decided to rummage around and see what we could find. The coolers were locked, but we found cheese, hamburger buns, and semi-hot grill at our disposal and proceeded to make our fill of grilled cheese. While we’re eating our grilled cheese, I decide to test the taps (all the handles have been removed) and to my surprise, cold frothy beer came pouring out. For about the next hour and a half we ate grilled cheese and drank draft Bud Light while it poured down rain.
There are some photos sent by the guys and allegedly taken during their inadvertent trespassing. It sounds like they had fun.
The only reason for me to give pause is that it’s Deadspin, they’re not 100% convinced it was real and they tend not to err on the side of skepticism on that site. But really, I don’t see any reason besides that to doubt it. It’s not like the claims in the story or the photos are over the top. I’ve never gone exploring in a ballpark, but there was a time in my life not too long ago when I made a habit out of walking in places I shouldn’t be to see if I could get away with it. It’s amazing how much you can get away with, even in these high-security-high-anxiety times, if you play it cool and generally look like you belong.
In short: I’m buying it. And even if it turns out to not be true, it’s fun reading anyway.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)