Feb 14, 2011, 3:38 PM EST
This is interesting. I’m not sure it’s true, but it’s interesting. A couple of guys told Deadspin that they got locked in Camden Yards after a rain postponement last year and turned the place into their own private playground:
Needing a few more drinks, we made our way towards the walking street in the ballpark, Eutaw St. Here is the world famous Boog’s Barbeque Stand where during games you can get draft beer, barbeque, burgers and dogs. Being a bit thirsty and hungry we decided to rummage around and see what we could find. The coolers were locked, but we found cheese, hamburger buns, and semi-hot grill at our disposal and proceeded to make our fill of grilled cheese. While we’re eating our grilled cheese, I decide to test the taps (all the handles have been removed) and to my surprise, cold frothy beer came pouring out. For about the next hour and a half we ate grilled cheese and drank draft Bud Light while it poured down rain.
There are some photos sent by the guys and allegedly taken during their inadvertent trespassing. It sounds like they had fun.
The only reason for me to give pause is that it’s Deadspin, they’re not 100% convinced it was real and they tend not to err on the side of skepticism on that site. But really, I don’t see any reason besides that to doubt it. It’s not like the claims in the story or the photos are over the top. I’ve never gone exploring in a ballpark, but there was a time in my life not too long ago when I made a habit out of walking in places I shouldn’t be to see if I could get away with it. It’s amazing how much you can get away with, even in these high-security-high-anxiety times, if you play it cool and generally look like you belong.
In short: I’m buying it. And even if it turns out to not be true, it’s fun reading anyway.
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 22
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 34
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 35
- The Grant Balfour-Orioles deal is dead 25
- Kevin Youkilis is going to play in Japan 32
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (101)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)
- The Yankees agree to a one-year, $2 million deal with Brian Roberts (74)