Feb 14, 2011, 3:38 PM EDT
This is interesting. I’m not sure it’s true, but it’s interesting. A couple of guys told Deadspin that they got locked in Camden Yards after a rain postponement last year and turned the place into their own private playground:
Needing a few more drinks, we made our way towards the walking street in the ballpark, Eutaw St. Here is the world famous Boog’s Barbeque Stand where during games you can get draft beer, barbeque, burgers and dogs. Being a bit thirsty and hungry we decided to rummage around and see what we could find. The coolers were locked, but we found cheese, hamburger buns, and semi-hot grill at our disposal and proceeded to make our fill of grilled cheese. While we’re eating our grilled cheese, I decide to test the taps (all the handles have been removed) and to my surprise, cold frothy beer came pouring out. For about the next hour and a half we ate grilled cheese and drank draft Bud Light while it poured down rain.
There are some photos sent by the guys and allegedly taken during their inadvertent trespassing. It sounds like they had fun.
The only reason for me to give pause is that it’s Deadspin, they’re not 100% convinced it was real and they tend not to err on the side of skepticism on that site. But really, I don’t see any reason besides that to doubt it. It’s not like the claims in the story or the photos are over the top. I’ve never gone exploring in a ballpark, but there was a time in my life not too long ago when I made a habit out of walking in places I shouldn’t be to see if I could get away with it. It’s amazing how much you can get away with, even in these high-security-high-anxiety times, if you play it cool and generally look like you belong.
In short: I’m buying it. And even if it turns out to not be true, it’s fun reading anyway.
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 4
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)