Feb 14, 2011, 3:38 PM EDT
This is interesting. I’m not sure it’s true, but it’s interesting. A couple of guys told Deadspin that they got locked in Camden Yards after a rain postponement last year and turned the place into their own private playground:
Needing a few more drinks, we made our way towards the walking street in the ballpark, Eutaw St. Here is the world famous Boog’s Barbeque Stand where during games you can get draft beer, barbeque, burgers and dogs. Being a bit thirsty and hungry we decided to rummage around and see what we could find. The coolers were locked, but we found cheese, hamburger buns, and semi-hot grill at our disposal and proceeded to make our fill of grilled cheese. While we’re eating our grilled cheese, I decide to test the taps (all the handles have been removed) and to my surprise, cold frothy beer came pouring out. For about the next hour and a half we ate grilled cheese and drank draft Bud Light while it poured down rain.
There are some photos sent by the guys and allegedly taken during their inadvertent trespassing. It sounds like they had fun.
The only reason for me to give pause is that it’s Deadspin, they’re not 100% convinced it was real and they tend not to err on the side of skepticism on that site. But really, I don’t see any reason besides that to doubt it. It’s not like the claims in the story or the photos are over the top. I’ve never gone exploring in a ballpark, but there was a time in my life not too long ago when I made a habit out of walking in places I shouldn’t be to see if I could get away with it. It’s amazing how much you can get away with, even in these high-security-high-anxiety times, if you play it cool and generally look like you belong.
In short: I’m buying it. And even if it turns out to not be true, it’s fun reading anyway.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 10
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 8
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 32
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)