The Braves have protected their cars from the wrath of Jason Heyward’s bat

Feb 14, 2011, 12:30 PM EST

Chicago Cubs v Atlanta Braves Getty Images

One of my favorite things last spring was how Jason Heyward kept hitting home runs out to right field at the Braves training complex and damaging cars out in the parking lot.  Sure, that’s not that big a deal when you consider that the Braves stupidly put a parking lot right over the wall, but it certainly served as an awesomely ominous and badass Heyward harbinger for Braves fanboys to swoon about.  Um, not that I, er, know any Braves fanboys around who swooned over Heyward. Not me!

Sadly, however, it seems that the Heyward-demolishes-cars thing is over.  Dave O’Brien took a picture from the press box down in Orlando, and it seems that the Braves have put up a protective covering.  Those orange tents just over the wall have been pitched in order to keep us all from getting excited it seems.

Guess we’ll have to settle for stories about Julio Teheran throwing the ball through the backstop in order to get us loopy as the spring wears on.

1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 14, 2011 at 12:35 PM

I feel compelled to say something. So there you go.

• Chris Fiorentino - Feb 14, 2011 at 12:47 PM

I feel compelled to somehow respond…so there you go.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 14, 2011 at 12:48 PM

FIORENTINO!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Chris Fiorentino - Feb 14, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Cerrano!!!!!!!! Watch out for the curve ball my friend.

2. Jonny 5 - Feb 14, 2011 at 12:38 PM

They didn’t want a windshield busting contest erupting between Heyward and Uggly now did they?

Oh yeah, Werth showed up to spring training and “THE BEARD” is back. Word has it that Geico is covering half of his salary.

3. shaggylocks - Feb 14, 2011 at 12:46 PM

As a Boston guy, the first person I thought of when I saw the name “Dave O’Brien” was the Red Sox radio announcer, who used to announce for the Braves back in the late 80s/early 90s. But no, it’s another Dave O’Brien connected to the Braves. Weird.

4. cur68 - Feb 14, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Oh to have the mystique of Jason Heyward. I’m sure the soundtrack in his head goes just like this; “I will crush your baseballs. I will crush your cars. HA, HA,HA! I will crush you all!!! Feel my mighty stick on your balls… um, no not that. What am I thinking?” aaaand repeat.

5. RickyB - Feb 14, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Pitching tents to keep us from getting excited, as opposed to getting excited and pitching tents …

6. heywardcarinsurance - Feb 14, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Those orange tents will still not be enough to stop Heyward. No car is ever safe when Heyward is in the batter’s box. Any reporter there to cover the Braves better hope to have good car insurance.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 14, 2011 at 4:13 PM

True that.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4790)
  2. M. Kemp (3419)
  3. J. Upton (2467)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2419)
  5. J. Kang (2414)