Feb 14, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT
One of my favorite things last spring was how Jason Heyward kept hitting home runs out to right field at the Braves training complex and damaging cars out in the parking lot. Sure, that’s not that big a deal when you consider that the Braves stupidly put a parking lot right over the wall, but it certainly served as an awesomely ominous and badass Heyward harbinger for Braves fanboys to swoon about. Um, not that I, er, know any Braves fanboys around who swooned over Heyward. Not me!
Sadly, however, it seems that the Heyward-demolishes-cars thing is over. Dave O’Brien took a picture from the press box down in Orlando, and it seems that the Braves have put up a protective covering. Those orange tents just over the wall have been pitched in order to keep us all from getting excited it seems.
Guess we’ll have to settle for stories about Julio Teheran throwing the ball through the backstop in order to get us loopy as the spring wears on.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)