Feb 14, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT
One of my favorite things last spring was how Jason Heyward kept hitting home runs out to right field at the Braves training complex and damaging cars out in the parking lot. Sure, that’s not that big a deal when you consider that the Braves stupidly put a parking lot right over the wall, but it certainly served as an awesomely ominous and badass Heyward harbinger for Braves fanboys to swoon about. Um, not that I, er, know any Braves fanboys around who swooned over Heyward. Not me!
Sadly, however, it seems that the Heyward-demolishes-cars thing is over. Dave O’Brien took a picture from the press box down in Orlando, and it seems that the Braves have put up a protective covering. Those orange tents just over the wall have been pitched in order to keep us all from getting excited it seems.
Guess we’ll have to settle for stories about Julio Teheran throwing the ball through the backstop in order to get us loopy as the spring wears on.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)