Feb 14, 2011, 1:30 PM EDT
This extension has been rumored for a while. It’s also a bit scary knowing what we know about three-year deals for relief pitchers (i.e. they almost all stink for the club unless the reliever is named Mariano Rivera). Still, Marmol is a stud: he had a 2.55 ERA and 38 saves last season, striking out 138 in 77 2/3 innings for a record 15.99 K/9.
Marmol was eligible for arbitration. He requested a $5.65 million and the Cubs offered $4.1 million. He would have had one more arbitration year after this one, meaning that the deal buys out two arb years and one year of free agency.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 23
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 22
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 24
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)