Feb 14, 2011, 1:30 PM EDT
This extension has been rumored for a while. It’s also a bit scary knowing what we know about three-year deals for relief pitchers (i.e. they almost all stink for the club unless the reliever is named Mariano Rivera). Still, Marmol is a stud: he had a 2.55 ERA and 38 saves last season, striking out 138 in 77 2/3 innings for a record 15.99 K/9.
Marmol was eligible for arbitration. He requested a $5.65 million and the Cubs offered $4.1 million. He would have had one more arbitration year after this one, meaning that the deal buys out two arb years and one year of free agency.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (259)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)