Feb 14, 2011, 1:30 PM EDT
This extension has been rumored for a while. It’s also a bit scary knowing what we know about three-year deals for relief pitchers (i.e. they almost all stink for the club unless the reliever is named Mariano Rivera). Still, Marmol is a stud: he had a 2.55 ERA and 38 saves last season, striking out 138 in 77 2/3 innings for a record 15.99 K/9.
Marmol was eligible for arbitration. He requested a $5.65 million and the Cubs offered $4.1 million. He would have had one more arbitration year after this one, meaning that the deal buys out two arb years and one year of free agency.
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 34
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 9
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 60
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)