Feb 14, 2011, 1:30 PM EST
This extension has been rumored for a while. It’s also a bit scary knowing what we know about three-year deals for relief pitchers (i.e. they almost all stink for the club unless the reliever is named Mariano Rivera). Still, Marmol is a stud: he had a 2.55 ERA and 38 saves last season, striking out 138 in 77 2/3 innings for a record 15.99 K/9.
Marmol was eligible for arbitration. He requested a $5.65 million and the Cubs offered $4.1 million. He would have had one more arbitration year after this one, meaning that the deal buys out two arb years and one year of free agency.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)