Brian Wilson keeps the ball from the last out of the World Series in a candy jar

Feb 15, 2011, 9:30 AM EDT

Brian Wilson

Brian Wilson, you crazy!

What happened to the baseball that Brian Wilson threw to strike out Texas’ Nelson Cruz and clinch the first World Series championship in the San Francisco Giants’ 53-year history?

Is it in a museum? Somewhere in the team archives? Or locked in a wall safe hidden behind a painting in owner Bill Neukom’s office?

Try Wilson’s kitchen. In a Halloween candy jar.

“I figure I’m not going to lose it there,” said Wilson, “and it was a delicious treat.”

That’s cute and all, but let’s see how nuts Brian Wilson really is.  Remember the ball from the last out of the 2004 World Series? You might recall that Red Sox first baseman Doug Mientkiewicz kept it, the Red Sox asked for it back, he refused and the Red Sox ended up suing him, saying that it was team property.

God, I hope that happens here. Because I would really, really love to read a deposition transcript of Brian Wilson.  And I’d feel really, really sorry for the lawyer that had to depose him.

1. yankeesfanlen - Feb 15, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Though the Giants had been around more than 53 years.Or are the Polo Grounds really a mirage that people kept seeing for 70 years?

• jkcalhoun - Feb 15, 2011 at 10:09 AM

I think you need a plural there, i.e. “were the Polo Grounds really mirages”. Odd that there were several stadiums with a name that has a plural form identical to its singular form.

But enough of that: even if there were Giants in those days, a leading historian of franchise relocation who regularly posts to this site tells me that I can’t relate to any of them, because I’m not from New York. After all, he often says, sports franchises are not like McDonald’s. Then he asks me if I want fries with that delicious championship.

• yankeesfanlen - Feb 15, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Well, anyway, Leo the Lip is kicking dirt from his grave. And I can’t help it that the damn place kept burning down. No wonder the Universe moved across the river.

• jkcalhoun - Feb 15, 2011 at 10:46 AM

What really happened is that your so-called Universe had its collective ass evicted from the Polo Grounds. But don’t take it from me, a Californian who can’t possibly relate. You could look it up.

2. phukyouk - Feb 15, 2011 at 9:54 AM

am i really the only one that imagines that scene from the Sandlot when the kid takes his dads Babe Ruth ball to play with cause they ruined their other one?

3. Jonny 5 - Feb 15, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Maybe it’s in his contract that he gets to keep all the balls he wants? He does keep the balls he closes with I thought… Plus Would you trust Wilson to return the actual ball? pffffft!! I think he’d give them some other ball, and laugh to himself as people ogle a fake, as he gently caresses the real ball.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 15, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Wow…so many balls jokes there…so little time…especially with the caressing….

• Jonny 5 - Feb 15, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Wilson loves to caress balls. It’s a fact. Look at the photo to the right listed under “NBC sports photos”. Yeah, I rest my case..

4. cur68 - Feb 15, 2011 at 11:45 AM

What is it with guys named “Brian Wilson”? Hey all you wanna be dad’s named ‘Wilson’ out there; don’t do it man! I don’t care if the name’s been in the family for umpteen generations, you name the kid ‘Brian’ and he’ll be a nut of the first order. This guy and Papelbon make watching baseball fun. I’m like a guy watching baboons at the zoo; what’s the dumb ape gonna do next? He puts bums in seats just like the horny monkey draws a big crowd at the zoo. Hell, let him keep the ball. I’s worth it just to ask him ‘where is it now Brian?’ questions. It’ll be a bit like Where’s Waldo.

5. aaronmoreno - Feb 15, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Craig, I’ve had depos where the deposing attorney is pissed that I don’t have information for him, and he says, “Well, I’ll just have to get that information from your client.” And I look at them and smile, because I know they’re wading into some deep water.

6. flyboat44 - Feb 15, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Wilson is hilarious. I hope he gives the ball back eventually.

7. scatterbrian - Feb 15, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Brian Wilson has crossed over into Robin Williams territory as an interview. Dude tries way too hard at being himself.

• xmatt0926x - Feb 15, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Ditto what Scatterbrain said. Craig had an article about a week ago asking if Brian Wilson was really this nutty. Yeah, you have to be somewhat zany to dress up as a sea captain to go on a talk show and all that good stuff but lets face it, he’s now milking it a little too much and has officially put on the leather jacket, the water ski’s and is seeking out that shark.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2916)