Carlos Silva believes he has already won a spot in the Cubs rotation

Feb 15, 2011, 4:35 PM EDT

Carlos Silva

It may be the first day of spring training, but Carlos Silva is oozing confidence about his place in the Cubs plans:

“For me, there’s only one spot open. I am one of the starters, you know what I mean? Whatever they think, they think that, not me.”

He did add that “if I have to win my spot, I’ll do it. I have no problem with that,” so it’s not like he’s suffering from some overactive sense of entitlement.  And I suppose you’d have to at least pencil Silva in as the fifth starter right now.  But really, Silva pitched over his head last year. Perhaps he just figured out what he’d been doing wrong for so long, but it’s also possible that he’ll be back to 2008-2009 levels — or even career averages — in 2011.

There are a number of fringe arms in Cubs camp who could conceivably profile as a fifth starter.  Silva may simply be talking himself up, but really, he’s the Cubs pitcher who is least assured of a slot in the rotation right now, isn’t he?

1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 15, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Yes, he easily is the mix in that rotation. There’s a host of unproven arms in the back end that will likely fizzle. I’m talking to you Samardddjfajdjfakldjfkdjza.

• Alex K - Feb 15, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Samardddjfajdjfakldjfkdjza has already been told he is going to be in the bullpen. I think it will be Wells and Russell or Silva as 4 & 5.

• kiwicricket - Feb 15, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Isn’t that the capitol of Tajikistan?

2. kiwicricket - Feb 15, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Might depend which sort of shape Carlos is
    (….in)

• diehardcubbiefan4life - Feb 15, 2011 at 6:23 PM

he must be in the best shape of his life, right?

• kiwicricket - Feb 15, 2011 at 6:27 PM

I think Carlos is in the most consistent shape of his life

3. shawnuel - Feb 15, 2011 at 7:39 PM

I believe that Carlos Silva is a colossal douche.

4. mncubsfan - Feb 16, 2011 at 12:45 PM

I believe that the starting rotation will probably be:

Garza
    Zambrano
    Dempster
    Wells
    Silva

Wells had a rough Sophmore year which isn’t unexpected I think that if someone has a spot on the rotation to lose it’s Silva just based on his performance (or lack thereof, injuries aside) in the second half of last season.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2845)