Feb 15, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
Jordan Bastian of MLB.com reports that Grady Sizemore took batting practice and did some light jogging yesterday, but the center fielder hasn’t resumed full baseball activities yet nine months after undergoing microfracture surgery on his left knee.
Sizemore told Bastian that being in the Opening Day lineup remains his goal, but indicated that may be an overly optimistic timetable:
We built everything around Opening Day, but we’re not going to push anything or speed the process up to get to that point. If two weeks from Opening Day, I’m still a little bit behind, or I still need two weeks and five days, we’re not going to ramp it up so I can get an extra five days of work in. I want to be playing at the end of October or the end of September, not just at the beginning of April.
Bastian hints that mid-April may be more realistic, assuming Sizemore continues to be setback-free. Michael Brantley would slide from left field to center field if Sizemore isn’t ready for the opener, with Austin Kearns likely drawing most of the starts in left field.
Prior to suffering the knee injury Sizemore struggled to come back from offseason elbow surgery and hit just .211 through 33 games, so there are a lot of question marks surrounding the one-time superstar as he heads into what could be his final season in Cleveland.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 290
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (293)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)