Feb 15, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Jordan Bastian of MLB.com reports that Grady Sizemore took batting practice and did some light jogging yesterday, but the center fielder hasn’t resumed full baseball activities yet nine months after undergoing microfracture surgery on his left knee.
Sizemore told Bastian that being in the Opening Day lineup remains his goal, but indicated that may be an overly optimistic timetable:
We built everything around Opening Day, but we’re not going to push anything or speed the process up to get to that point. If two weeks from Opening Day, I’m still a little bit behind, or I still need two weeks and five days, we’re not going to ramp it up so I can get an extra five days of work in. I want to be playing at the end of October or the end of September, not just at the beginning of April.
Bastian hints that mid-April may be more realistic, assuming Sizemore continues to be setback-free. Michael Brantley would slide from left field to center field if Sizemore isn’t ready for the opener, with Austin Kearns likely drawing most of the starts in left field.
Prior to suffering the knee injury Sizemore struggled to come back from offseason elbow surgery and hit just .211 through 33 games, so there are a lot of question marks surrounding the one-time superstar as he heads into what could be his final season in Cleveland.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 18
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 86
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 56
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (86)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)