Feb 15, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Jordan Bastian of MLB.com reports that Grady Sizemore took batting practice and did some light jogging yesterday, but the center fielder hasn’t resumed full baseball activities yet nine months after undergoing microfracture surgery on his left knee.
Sizemore told Bastian that being in the Opening Day lineup remains his goal, but indicated that may be an overly optimistic timetable:
We built everything around Opening Day, but we’re not going to push anything or speed the process up to get to that point. If two weeks from Opening Day, I’m still a little bit behind, or I still need two weeks and five days, we’re not going to ramp it up so I can get an extra five days of work in. I want to be playing at the end of October or the end of September, not just at the beginning of April.
Bastian hints that mid-April may be more realistic, assuming Sizemore continues to be setback-free. Michael Brantley would slide from left field to center field if Sizemore isn’t ready for the opener, with Austin Kearns likely drawing most of the starts in left field.
Prior to suffering the knee injury Sizemore struggled to come back from offseason elbow surgery and hit just .211 through 33 games, so there are a lot of question marks surrounding the one-time superstar as he heads into what could be his final season in Cleveland.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 12
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 14
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)