Feb 15, 2011, 12:16 PM EST
Andy Pettitte announced his retirement on February 2, but today Jorge Posada told Wallace Matthews of ESPNNewYork.com that he “wouldn’t be surprised” if his longtime batterymate reconsidered and returned to the Yankees at some point in 2011.
Or course, Wallace also writes that Posada “admitted he had no real reason for believing Pettitte might change his mind” and is basing it mostly off his knowledge of Pettitte’s “competitive nature.”
Here’s more from Posada:
I just know how much Andy loves to compete. Andy’s a competitor, and that’s the thing you miss. Hopefully, we’ll see him again. It would be nice to see him come back.
However, before Yankees fans get too excited, Posada also told Matthews that Pettitte seemed “at peace with his decision” based on text messages they exchanged, saying: “It seemed like he had made his decision and he was OK with it.”
It’s tough to tell how much of Posada’s comments are wishful thinking, but either way I’m sure there will be Pettitte-related storylines throughout the first half, particularly if the back of the Yankees’ rotation struggles.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (116)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)