Feb 15, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Andy Pettitte announced his retirement on February 2, but today Jorge Posada told Wallace Matthews of ESPNNewYork.com that he “wouldn’t be surprised” if his longtime batterymate reconsidered and returned to the Yankees at some point in 2011.
Or course, Wallace also writes that Posada “admitted he had no real reason for believing Pettitte might change his mind” and is basing it mostly off his knowledge of Pettitte’s “competitive nature.”
Here’s more from Posada:
I just know how much Andy loves to compete. Andy’s a competitor, and that’s the thing you miss. Hopefully, we’ll see him again. It would be nice to see him come back.
However, before Yankees fans get too excited, Posada also told Matthews that Pettitte seemed “at peace with his decision” based on text messages they exchanged, saying: “It seemed like he had made his decision and he was OK with it.”
It’s tough to tell how much of Posada’s comments are wishful thinking, but either way I’m sure there will be Pettitte-related storylines throughout the first half, particularly if the back of the Yankees’ rotation struggles.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)