Just stop it: Donald Trump is not going to buy the Mets

Feb 15, 2011, 1:54 PM EDT

Donald Trump

Remember that stuff I was saying about ignoring the celebrity owner speculation when it came to the Mets?  The New York Times apparently doesn’t read HardballTalk, as they report today that Donald Trump has spoken to the Wilpons about buying into the Mets and will meet with the team soon.  Trump says, however, that he’d only want a majority interest, not a minority stake like the Wilpons have said they want to sell.

Of course later in the article the Times explains all the reasons why Trump would almost certainly not be approved by Major League Baseball, not the least of which is that he owns casinos, which is explicitly banned by Major League Baseball.  The fact that Trump isn’t really as rich and powerful as he likes to pretend he is probably has a lot to do with it too.  In this Trump is less qualified than you or I to own the Mets. I mean, we may lack the money too, but at least we wouldn’t be on the banned list.

Trump, for the purposes of the Mets, is no different than Jerry Seinfeld or any number of other celebrities who are fun to pair up with the Mets in the papers.  What’s more is Trump, unlike Seinfeld and some others, is way more invested in cultivating his public image as someone important and thus is way more likely to plant this kind of thing himself than for there to be any real legs to it.

I already promised to eat my hat this month, so I can’t do that again.  But I’ll eat my 1983 New Jersey Generals poster if Trump ends up as the majority owner of the New York Mets.

1. bubbleizzy - Feb 15, 2011 at 2:09 PM

I don’t think he owns Trump Casinos anymore. Aren’t they bankrupt?

2. cur68 - Feb 15, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Oh man, here you go again. A jersey now? You are going to die doing this stuff, you know? Sooner or later you’ll be wrong and they’ll be serving you something that’ll kill you. Look, I don’t want you to die. The blog community will be a poorer place without you in it. Stop threatening to eat stuff! What are you, a 1 year old? It’s all gotta go in your mouth? Threaten to wear something or do something. Honestly, it’s like you have diminished mental capacity or something when it comes to your own safety. And its not so far fetched for Le Donald to buy into the Mets. He’ll be no worse a personality than Steinbrenner. Keep in mind rules have been amended for others, I’m sure they can be bent for this guy. Baseball needs the publicity and profile that someone like this can bring. Basketball has Mark Cuban, Hockey has Lemeiux, Football has Al Davis/Jerry Jones, and Baseball HAD George. Baseball is poorer without someone like that. They are a magnet for the game and raise it in the public’s awareness. Now, on the side of what’s likely; I think you are right. No chance realistically of Le Donald getting a piece of the Mets. However there’s a dude in a speedo over his jeans who felt there was no chance of Lee as a Philthy either (he at least was sensible about what he’d do. You CAN learn man!). Most of us thought Lee would be Yanker. But LO, Mr.Lee had other ideas. Selig might have other ideas, too.

• cur68 - Feb 15, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Oops. You said poster. Sorry. Ok. That you’ll survive unless the ink is toxic. Which it might be. Was the poster printed in China? Lead poster paint? Be careful. Have it tested. Do it NOW. And saying you’ll eat stuff!

3. Jonny 5 - Feb 15, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Craig, why in the world to you have a NJ Generals poster?

• Jonny 5 - Feb 15, 2011 at 2:23 PM

to=do jeez….

• cur68 - Feb 15, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Jonny 5; re. ‘to=do’; no worries brother, we all have one of those days. Good point, though. I never did stop to ask. Why would ANYONE have a NJG poster? Am I to understand that in the intervening years between its acquisition (doubtless another lost bet or a moment of drunken foolishness) and now, there was no pet needing housebreaking, no hamster needing bed fodder? Inexplicable.

• Craig Calcaterra - Feb 15, 2011 at 2:24 PM

I actually don’t. Just wanted to make a Trump/sports reference (he owned them).

I do, however, own a Michigan Panthers logo baseball cap and the complete set of the Topps premier edition USFL set, which includes the Steve Young and Herschel Walker rookies, among many others.

• cur68 - Feb 15, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Well, good then. Don’t threaten to eat them and all will be well. You do realize if you lose & Le Donald winds up on the ownership of the Mets there will promptly be a dozen, nay, HUNDREDS, of those posters in the mail to you, don’t you? Some of which I dare say WILL have been used as hamster bedding or the like.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 15, 2011 at 7:20 PM

So you’re promising to do things that you can’t actually do? Hmm… At least we don’t have to see you in a Speedo.

By the way, I saw you outside my kid’s day care this morning—well at least somebody who looks a hell of a lot like you. So, either A.) it wasn’t you; 2.) it was your evil twin (though this guy didn’t have a goatee); or D.) you’re stalking me or my kid, in which case, i respectfully request you to stop—unless you bring Tiffany with you.

4. gravytrain56 - Feb 15, 2011 at 2:29 PM

5. chrisdtx - Feb 15, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Obviously the Trump thing is applesauce, for the reasons Craig alluded to. However, the casino thing is not necessarily a non-starter for a prospective owner (cf. Illitch, Mike).

• cur68 - Feb 15, 2011 at 2:36 PM

And so, 1 by 1, the barriers between Trump and Mets ownership begins to fall…

• tolbuck - Feb 15, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Illitch already owned the Tigers when he bought a casino. Not the same thing as Trump would do.

6. BC - Feb 15, 2011 at 2:42 PM

MarkCubanMarkCubanMarkCubanMarkCubanMarkCubanMarkCubanMarkCubanMarkCubanMarkCubanMarkCubanMarkCubanMarkCubanMarkCubanMarkCubanMarkCubanMarkCubanMarkCubanMarkCubanMarkCubanMarkCubanMarkCubanMarkCubanMarkCubanMarkCubanMarkCuban

• cur68 - Feb 15, 2011 at 2:48 PM

As I said, that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Cuban generates a lot of revenue. People like to see what he’ll do next. Trump’s the same way. He’ll rename the team “The Trump New York Mets” ( I imagine he thinks of his crapper as “The Trump Dump” and his current wife “The Trump Frump”) and the outrage will fill the stadium.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 15, 2011 at 7:49 PM

With Cuban, would CitiField be renamed HDMets Stadium?

7. Jonny 5 - Feb 15, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Trump would have the hottest wife of all the MLB owners wouldn’t he?

• cur68 - Feb 15, 2011 at 3:06 PM

@Jonny 5; I just googled that. HO-LLEEE…just goes to show a ho-lotta money can attract a ho-lotta women. Yeah, I’ll give you that. She’ll win hottest wife and there is yet another reason the Trump New York Mets would never play to an empty seat. See Craig, the reasons ‘for’ are inexorably over taking the reasons ‘against’. Buy some extra mustard buddy, that poster may take some flavoring up to get down.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 15, 2011 at 3:37 PM

LOL!!!

8. umrguy42 - Feb 15, 2011 at 4:19 PM

You’d hope that with what The Donald did to the USFL, MLB owners would look at him and go “….no.”

9. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Feb 15, 2011 at 4:47 PM

The simple fact is that The Donald couldn’t afford to buy the Mets.

• cur68 - Feb 15, 2011 at 5:11 PM

@PanchoHerreraFanClub; no one posting here has allowed something as simple as a fact to prevent us from posting grossly inflated opinions, invective, unsolicited advice, or wildly bizarre predictions. Since Le Donald is of the same stripe he likely won’t let his lack of solvency prevent him from getting a piece of the Mets. And don’t say the banking world will never allow it. They allowed Madoff for decades. They are as lacking now in tact, judgment, moral fiber and basic financial understanding as they ever were.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet