Feb 15, 2011, 1:54 PM EDT
Remember that stuff I was saying about ignoring the celebrity owner speculation when it came to the Mets? The New York Times apparently doesn’t read HardballTalk, as they report today that Donald Trump has spoken to the Wilpons about buying into the Mets and will meet with the team soon. Trump says, however, that he’d only want a majority interest, not a minority stake like the Wilpons have said they want to sell.
Of course later in the article the Times explains all the reasons why Trump would almost certainly not be approved by Major League Baseball, not the least of which is that he owns casinos, which is explicitly banned by Major League Baseball. The fact that Trump isn’t really as rich and powerful as he likes to pretend he is probably has a lot to do with it too. In this Trump is less qualified than you or I to own the Mets. I mean, we may lack the money too, but at least we wouldn’t be on the banned list.
Trump, for the purposes of the Mets, is no different than Jerry Seinfeld or any number of other celebrities who are fun to pair up with the Mets in the papers. What’s more is Trump, unlike Seinfeld and some others, is way more invested in cultivating his public image as someone important and thus is way more likely to plant this kind of thing himself than for there to be any real legs to it.
I already promised to eat my hat this month, so I can’t do that again. But I’ll eat my 1983 New Jersey Generals poster if Trump ends up as the majority owner of the New York Mets.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)