Feb 15, 2011, 1:54 PM EDT
Remember that stuff I was saying about ignoring the celebrity owner speculation when it came to the Mets? The New York Times apparently doesn’t read HardballTalk, as they report today that Donald Trump has spoken to the Wilpons about buying into the Mets and will meet with the team soon. Trump says, however, that he’d only want a majority interest, not a minority stake like the Wilpons have said they want to sell.
Of course later in the article the Times explains all the reasons why Trump would almost certainly not be approved by Major League Baseball, not the least of which is that he owns casinos, which is explicitly banned by Major League Baseball. The fact that Trump isn’t really as rich and powerful as he likes to pretend he is probably has a lot to do with it too. In this Trump is less qualified than you or I to own the Mets. I mean, we may lack the money too, but at least we wouldn’t be on the banned list.
Trump, for the purposes of the Mets, is no different than Jerry Seinfeld or any number of other celebrities who are fun to pair up with the Mets in the papers. What’s more is Trump, unlike Seinfeld and some others, is way more invested in cultivating his public image as someone important and thus is way more likely to plant this kind of thing himself than for there to be any real legs to it.
I already promised to eat my hat this month, so I can’t do that again. But I’ll eat my 1983 New Jersey Generals poster if Trump ends up as the majority owner of the New York Mets.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 54
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 28
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 61
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)