Feb 15, 2011, 1:54 PM EDT
Remember that stuff I was saying about ignoring the celebrity owner speculation when it came to the Mets? The New York Times apparently doesn’t read HardballTalk, as they report today that Donald Trump has spoken to the Wilpons about buying into the Mets and will meet with the team soon. Trump says, however, that he’d only want a majority interest, not a minority stake like the Wilpons have said they want to sell.
Of course later in the article the Times explains all the reasons why Trump would almost certainly not be approved by Major League Baseball, not the least of which is that he owns casinos, which is explicitly banned by Major League Baseball. The fact that Trump isn’t really as rich and powerful as he likes to pretend he is probably has a lot to do with it too. In this Trump is less qualified than you or I to own the Mets. I mean, we may lack the money too, but at least we wouldn’t be on the banned list.
Trump, for the purposes of the Mets, is no different than Jerry Seinfeld or any number of other celebrities who are fun to pair up with the Mets in the papers. What’s more is Trump, unlike Seinfeld and some others, is way more invested in cultivating his public image as someone important and thus is way more likely to plant this kind of thing himself than for there to be any real legs to it.
I already promised to eat my hat this month, so I can’t do that again. But I’ll eat my 1983 New Jersey Generals poster if Trump ends up as the majority owner of the New York Mets.
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 1
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 28
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 143
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)