Feb 15, 2011, 9:51 AM EST
Back during the Winter Meetings New York Daily News reporter Andy Martino wrote the following:
Here’s some of what we’ve been able to gather during the first day here in Florida. Lots of information swirling around the Twitter, some of it questionable. For example, if the Phillies sign Cliff Lee, I’ll cover spring training in a Speedo.
Based on this picture, I think we must conclude that today he fulfilled his promise.
But yes, I agree that even if that is technical compliance, it is a half-hearted effort. Next time someone says something like that, let’s all be sure we collectively nail down the terms beforehand. Because when a beat writer says he’s gonna wear a Speedo, we should expect a little skin.
Wait. These are beat writers we’re talking about. And most of them aren’t in good shape like Martino is. Let’s just forget I said that, OK? And if you need me, I’ll be huddled over in the corner, rocking back and forth and trying to make the bad thoughts go away.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)