Feb 15, 2011, 9:51 AM EDT
Back during the Winter Meetings New York Daily News reporter Andy Martino wrote the following:
Here’s some of what we’ve been able to gather during the first day here in Florida. Lots of information swirling around the Twitter, some of it questionable. For example, if the Phillies sign Cliff Lee, I’ll cover spring training in a Speedo.
Based on this picture, I think we must conclude that today he fulfilled his promise.
But yes, I agree that even if that is technical compliance, it is a half-hearted effort. Next time someone says something like that, let’s all be sure we collectively nail down the terms beforehand. Because when a beat writer says he’s gonna wear a Speedo, we should expect a little skin.
Wait. These are beat writers we’re talking about. And most of them aren’t in good shape like Martino is. Let’s just forget I said that, OK? And if you need me, I’ll be huddled over in the corner, rocking back and forth and trying to make the bad thoughts go away.
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 136
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 83
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 29
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (139)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (84)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)