Feb 15, 2011, 9:51 AM EST
Back during the Winter Meetings New York Daily News reporter Andy Martino wrote the following:
Here’s some of what we’ve been able to gather during the first day here in Florida. Lots of information swirling around the Twitter, some of it questionable. For example, if the Phillies sign Cliff Lee, I’ll cover spring training in a Speedo.
Based on this picture, I think we must conclude that today he fulfilled his promise.
But yes, I agree that even if that is technical compliance, it is a half-hearted effort. Next time someone says something like that, let’s all be sure we collectively nail down the terms beforehand. Because when a beat writer says he’s gonna wear a Speedo, we should expect a little skin.
Wait. These are beat writers we’re talking about. And most of them aren’t in good shape like Martino is. Let’s just forget I said that, OK? And if you need me, I’ll be huddled over in the corner, rocking back and forth and trying to make the bad thoughts go away.
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 8
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 15
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)