Feb 15, 2011, 9:51 AM EST
Back during the Winter Meetings New York Daily News reporter Andy Martino wrote the following:
Here’s some of what we’ve been able to gather during the first day here in Florida. Lots of information swirling around the Twitter, some of it questionable. For example, if the Phillies sign Cliff Lee, I’ll cover spring training in a Speedo.
Based on this picture, I think we must conclude that today he fulfilled his promise.
But yes, I agree that even if that is technical compliance, it is a half-hearted effort. Next time someone says something like that, let’s all be sure we collectively nail down the terms beforehand. Because when a beat writer says he’s gonna wear a Speedo, we should expect a little skin.
Wait. These are beat writers we’re talking about. And most of them aren’t in good shape like Martino is. Let’s just forget I said that, OK? And if you need me, I’ll be huddled over in the corner, rocking back and forth and trying to make the bad thoughts go away.
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 17
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 27
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 91
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)