Feb 15, 2011, 6:57 PM EST
UPDATE: That was quick. Steve Gilbert of MLB.com reports that the Diamondbacks expressed interest in Young “early on,” but have not since.
6:31 PM: Another day, another new team in the mix for Michael Young.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Diamondbacks have emerged as a potential suitor for the disgruntled third baseman.
The Diamondbacks see Young as a possible upgrade over Melvin Mora at the hot corner, but talks with the Rangers have yet to escalate and might not, says Rosenthal.
Much like the Marlins and many of the other teams mentioned in association with Young over the past week or so, the Diamondbacks would need the Rangers to pick up a sizable portion of the $48 million left on his contract. Meanwhile, the Rangers are saying no dice. They also refuse to make a deal unless it improves their club.
Unless the Rangers soften on their stance in the next few days, it looks like Young will have no choice but to mosey on into Surprise, Arizona on Saturday.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 121
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 368
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (370)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (128)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)