Feb 15, 2011, 6:57 PM EDT
UPDATE: That was quick. Steve Gilbert of MLB.com reports that the Diamondbacks expressed interest in Young “early on,” but have not since.
6:31 PM: Another day, another new team in the mix for Michael Young.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Diamondbacks have emerged as a potential suitor for the disgruntled third baseman.
The Diamondbacks see Young as a possible upgrade over Melvin Mora at the hot corner, but talks with the Rangers have yet to escalate and might not, says Rosenthal.
Much like the Marlins and many of the other teams mentioned in association with Young over the past week or so, the Diamondbacks would need the Rangers to pick up a sizable portion of the $48 million left on his contract. Meanwhile, the Rangers are saying no dice. They also refuse to make a deal unless it improves their club.
Unless the Rangers soften on their stance in the next few days, it looks like Young will have no choice but to mosey on into Surprise, Arizona on Saturday.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)