Feb 15, 2011, 6:57 PM EDT
UPDATE: That was quick. Steve Gilbert of MLB.com reports that the Diamondbacks expressed interest in Young “early on,” but have not since.
6:31 PM: Another day, another new team in the mix for Michael Young.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Diamondbacks have emerged as a potential suitor for the disgruntled third baseman.
The Diamondbacks see Young as a possible upgrade over Melvin Mora at the hot corner, but talks with the Rangers have yet to escalate and might not, says Rosenthal.
Much like the Marlins and many of the other teams mentioned in association with Young over the past week or so, the Diamondbacks would need the Rangers to pick up a sizable portion of the $48 million left on his contract. Meanwhile, the Rangers are saying no dice. They also refuse to make a deal unless it improves their club.
Unless the Rangers soften on their stance in the next few days, it looks like Young will have no choice but to mosey on into Surprise, Arizona on Saturday.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)