Feb 15, 2011, 6:57 PM EDT
UPDATE: That was quick. Steve Gilbert of MLB.com reports that the Diamondbacks expressed interest in Young “early on,” but have not since.
6:31 PM: Another day, another new team in the mix for Michael Young.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Diamondbacks have emerged as a potential suitor for the disgruntled third baseman.
The Diamondbacks see Young as a possible upgrade over Melvin Mora at the hot corner, but talks with the Rangers have yet to escalate and might not, says Rosenthal.
Much like the Marlins and many of the other teams mentioned in association with Young over the past week or so, the Diamondbacks would need the Rangers to pick up a sizable portion of the $48 million left on his contract. Meanwhile, the Rangers are saying no dice. They also refuse to make a deal unless it improves their club.
Unless the Rangers soften on their stance in the next few days, it looks like Young will have no choice but to mosey on into Surprise, Arizona on Saturday.
- Playoff Reset: Both AL Division Series Get Underway 31
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 22
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 52
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (83)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)