Feb 15, 2011, 6:57 PM EDT
UPDATE: That was quick. Steve Gilbert of MLB.com reports that the Diamondbacks expressed interest in Young “early on,” but have not since.
6:31 PM: Another day, another new team in the mix for Michael Young.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Diamondbacks have emerged as a potential suitor for the disgruntled third baseman.
The Diamondbacks see Young as a possible upgrade over Melvin Mora at the hot corner, but talks with the Rangers have yet to escalate and might not, says Rosenthal.
Much like the Marlins and many of the other teams mentioned in association with Young over the past week or so, the Diamondbacks would need the Rangers to pick up a sizable portion of the $48 million left on his contract. Meanwhile, the Rangers are saying no dice. They also refuse to make a deal unless it improves their club.
Unless the Rangers soften on their stance in the next few days, it looks like Young will have no choice but to mosey on into Surprise, Arizona on Saturday.
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 0
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 31
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 53
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 96
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (101)
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (99)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)