The Mariners have hired Ken Griffey Jr.

Feb 15, 2011, 12:28 PM EDT

Griffey on shoulders

The Mariners have issued a release announcing that Ken Griffey Jr. has been hired as a special consultant to the club.  Griffey “will be involved in numerous areas of the Mariners franchise, including, but not limited to, Major League Baseball Operations, player development, our minor league system marketing, broadcasting and community relations.”

That seems like a lot of responsibilities for a dude who can’t make it through a game without napping.

Don’t look at me like that. You were thinking it too.

More seriously, I would love to see a study of “special assistant” jobs in Major League Baseball.  I bet the vast majority of them are kind of do-nothing jobs. Which is totally cool, because it’s more about maintaining the association with greats from the franchise, and it sounds way better than saying “we’re going to just have the old Hall of Famer hanging around at high profile functions.”  But I really am curious to see if any of the ex-greats who get special assistant jobs really attack them. Show up at the office, go to meetings, chip in to the coffee fund and all of that.

I bet Jim Thome will someday.  Really, if he’s ever a special assistant to the Twins or the White Sox or Indians or wherever I bet he’ll buy a business casual wardrobe and everything. Car pool. The whole bit.

1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 15, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Geez, take one lil nap at work and you get roasted for it for life! Craig, it really isn’t fair you know since you have a job where you probably take daily naps and no one notices.

I actually think I’ve napped during every job I’ve ever held expect door guy at a bar since I had to stand the whole time. That includes life-guarding and campus security…no one died on my watch though so don’t worry.

• chrisheer - Feb 15, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Like Craig, I work at home. I know there are a lot of cliches about wearing robes or shorts, not shaving, drinking beer, and napping that are associated with working from home.

They’re all true.

• cur68 - Feb 15, 2011 at 1:29 PM

I’m a grad studnet in medical research. My head is basically a Macintosh symbol with zzz coming out of it. I feel ya with this comment. Getting very sleepy now. Must go…zzzzzzzz

2. IdahoMariner - Feb 15, 2011 at 12:42 PM

sigh….I was so pleased that you used this photo, the way I am sure that Jr. would have liked to have gone out (but I think he still gets to remember it this way)…and then you gotta bring up the napping thing. The napping wasn’t the problem — when he was hitting at his Hall of Fame rate, he napped and no one cared. Other players nap during the game, they disappear into the clubhouse to stay warm on the bike or to watch tv or play cards — I think you should be out there watching the game with your teammates, but that’s up to the clubs to take care of. And when Jr. was still Jr., no one cared. It’s the lack of hitting that made it a story.
    Just yesterday, I was thinking (seriously, just yesterday) while I was reading HBT “I like Craig’s stuff, even though he totally overreacted like a grandma to the napping thing”…

• spudchukar - Feb 15, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Super Cool move by the Mariners. But napping during the game is not. It is unacceptable, even if you are past your prime, it isn’t past your bedtime.

3. chrisheer - Feb 15, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Curiously, as a special assistant he’s projected to put up a better WAR than he did in his last season.

• IdahoMariner - Feb 15, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Ha!

Yeah, that wouldn’t be too diffficult. LOVE Jr., but, geez….

4. IdahoMariner - Feb 15, 2011 at 12:45 PM

but yeah, I know you were going for the punch line.

…and I love the visual of Thome (or Griffey, or Jeter or whoever) showing up the first day at a meeting, asking “hey, what are we doing today, guys? I have some great ideas!” and the rest of the office writing notes to each other “didn’t YOU tell him this was just ceremonial? or was I supposed to? AWKWARD.”

5. Lukehart80 - Feb 15, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Craig, didn’t you really mean David Eckstein when you said Jim Thome?

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2774)