Feb 15, 2011, 5:34 PM EDT
The Cubbies got what in all likelihood will be bullpen help today when they acquired Robert Coello from the Red Sox. In exchange they sent infielder Tony Thomas to Boston.
Coello, who was DFA’s last week, had a brief callup at the end of last season. He only pitched in six games, but he struck out 10.9 batters per nine innings as a swingman down in AA and AAA. He’s not a prospect — he’s 26 — but he could be useful for Chicago.
Thomas is a 24 year-old infielder who showed a reasonable amount of pop in AA, putting up a line of .276/.338/.485 last year which is only a tad higher than his minor league career averages. Of course there isn’t anywhere for him on the Red Sox, but there is no shame in being an organizational soldier for a new organization, right?
Yeah, I know. This is small potatoes even for me, and I deal in a lot of small potato posts around here. In my defense, this is actual baseball content and not depressing contract negotiation stuff, and that should be worth something, right?
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 11
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 23
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (126)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (69)