Cameron Maybin: company man

Feb 16, 2011, 3:01 PM EDT

Cameron Maybin

Remember that thing from this morning about Padres outfielder Cameron Maybin talking smack about Panda Express? The restaurant chain whose CEO just happens to be a San Diego Padres minority owner?  Well, someone told Maybin about it, because he’s moonwalkin’ away from yesterday’s tweet like Michael Jackson right now:

Man just got back on the wagon panda express was great today, now I’m ready for action…. Best oriental cuisine around… Let’s go…!

It’s OK, Cameron. I’ve been there too.  I myself had an uncomfortable day with my corporate overlords that time I decided to write the screed in which I equated the cancellation of “It’s Your Move” to some of history’s greatest atrocities. In hindsight, I was overreacting and my comments in no way reflected on the NBC executives who pulled the plug on THE GREATEST SHOW EVER OH MY GOD WHAT WHERE YOU GUYS THINKING??!!!

Sorry. My phone is ringing. Hmm … someone at 30 Rock.  I’ll be right back.  Maybe.

1. klbader - Feb 16, 2011 at 3:18 PM

I thought I was the only one who remembered that show! It was a classic. I only have nostalgic memories of it, so I don’t know if it actually was good. But when I was 12ish, I thought it was awesome!

2. jh0088 - Feb 16, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Holy crap, you just referenced “It’s Your Move” in 2011.

That was one of the most seminal sitcoms on the planet for me because it taught me how to be a sneaky mofo and flat out lie like a professional. Plus it was hilarious and Jason Bateman was a comedic genius even as a kid.

You think he was good in Arrested Development? “It’s Your Move” was sheer unadulerated hilarity.

+10000 to Craig.

• klbader - Feb 16, 2011 at 3:29 PM

I’m still waiting for the Dregs of Humanity to make a tour stop in my town! Also, Arrested Development was an outstanding show. I am looking forward to the movie.

• scatterbrian - Feb 16, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Need I remind you the Dregs perished after driving off a cliff?

• scatterbrian - Feb 16, 2011 at 3:45 PM

When I was a kid my family somehow got into being a test audience for TV shows, and this was one of the shows we rated. Positively, of course. Bateman had already been on Silver Spoons as sort of a modern day Eddie Haskell, so it was cool to see him get a starring role on a show.

Long live The Dregs of Humanity

3. Matt - Feb 16, 2011 at 3:40 PM

I’m glad to see that Cameron’s toilet is willing to take one (or two…) for the team.

4. billtpa - Feb 16, 2011 at 3:44 PM

He’s also deleted the initial tweet, naturally.

5. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 16, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Can’t stop that orange chicken. It’s devilishly tasty and runs right through you like a bullet.

6. tomemos - Feb 16, 2011 at 4:24 PM

I kind of thought he was being knowingly ironic, but if he deleted the original tweet, maybe not.

7. bloodysock - Feb 16, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Panda Express. “best oriental cuisine around”? Seriously.

OK, perhaps in Maryvale. But isn’t the PC term ‘asian cuisine’?

• scatterbrian - Feb 16, 2011 at 7:57 PM

I believe it’s just Chinese food. Asia includes Russia, Iraq, India, etc.

But yeah, calling it the best is a stretch. Shit, calling it cuisine is a stretch.

• ta192 - Feb 16, 2011 at 8:46 PM

What’s wrong with “oriental”?

8. cur68 - Feb 16, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Lord Knows my life needs a re-wind function. I aint gonna judge. Good luck Cameron Maybin (may I recommend gaviscon and pepto bismol while you are going about taking your lumps?) Peace.

9. blottoel - Feb 17, 2011 at 3:10 AM

Tom Davin has not been the CEO of Panda for over a year.

Three legends off to Cooperstown