Cameron Maybin may be in trouble with the Padres

Feb 16, 2011, 6:04 AM EST

Cameron Maybin

It’s early, but the leader in the “best story to come out of spring training” clubhouse comes from the guys at Gaslamp Ball.

The subject: Padres outfielder Cameron Maybin, who yesterday took to Twitter to complain — colorfully — how a meal at Panda Express disagreed with him:

Never eat panda express shits had me feeling awful for 2 days back on my grind tomorrow, We got action…

I saw that when he tweeted it. Didn’t think much of it besides “oh how un-fun Twitter will one day be when every athlete hands his tweeting over to PR professionals. When that happens we will no longer have that kind of stuff coming across the wire.”

But the Gaslamp Ball guys know something that apparently Maybin does not know: one of the minority owners of the Padres is Tom Davin, the CEO of Panda Express.

The Padres train in Arizona so presumably anyone who matters with that organization is snug in their beds at the moment and likely not yet aware of Maybin’s tweet.  I have this feeling though that all of this is going to lead to an awkward meeting of some kind.

1. paperlions - Feb 16, 2011 at 7:14 AM

Wouldn’t a good CEO inquire as to why it is that his eateries give people…um…intestinal distress, and try to address the problem(s), rather than be upset at the person that pointed it out?

• Alex K - Feb 16, 2011 at 8:52 AM

I don’t think he was saying he had the shits….just refering to Panda Express as “shits”.

2. shaggylocks - Feb 16, 2011 at 7:48 AM

“Maybin may be in?” That couldn’t have been an accident.

3. baseballstars - Feb 16, 2011 at 7:51 AM

I generally hate Twitter, but it has its good moments every now and then. And yes, PR guys ruin everything. Before too much longer, athletes are going to have their agents or PR guys send text messages to women they’ve just slept with.

• Ari Collins - Feb 16, 2011 at 8:06 AM

Man, I need a PR guy.

4. iftheshoefits2 - Feb 16, 2011 at 8:09 AM

Gems like this make wading through all the boring self promotion and calculated nonsense sooo utterly worth it.

5. Old Gator - Feb 16, 2011 at 9:15 AM

That’s funny. He worries about the indigestion but not the carcinogenic preservatives and hypertension-jacking sodium levels, but he’s young and can start worrying about those in a few more decades. And anyway, that’s the least of the problems with pandas. I have to spray my bamboo three times a year to kill the stinking things but somehow they keep coming back.

6. bigtrav425 - Feb 16, 2011 at 9:16 AM

This has started my day of great!…nothing wrong with this tweet at all..he was just stating a fact

7. icanspeel - Feb 16, 2011 at 10:13 AM

When I saw the title I thought it was going to be bad lol but instead it is pretty hilarious.

8. BC - Feb 16, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Slow news day?

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4549)
  2. M. Kemp (3640)
  3. M. Cabrera (2870)
  4. M. Morse (2558)
  5. J. Kang (2549)
  1. J. Upton (2471)
  2. A. Rios (2187)
  3. C. Headley (2160)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2062)
  5. J. Peavy (1848)