Feb 16, 2011, 10:43 AM EDT
The official deadline was to be 11AM, but Buster Olney just tweeted the following:
Pujols contract talks are over. Deadline will pass without a deal. Have not been proposals swapped in last 100 hours or so.
And it wouldn’t have been that big a deal if Pujols hadn’t gone and set a deadline. Not that it necessarily matters to him or should — the guy should do what he wants to — but the frenzy that has been built up among the Cardinals fans and the media covering this deadline thing is a pretty artificial creation.
Pujols will show up in camp tomorrow. He’ll give a few no comments. Then he’ll go out and start abusing baseballs. Barring the absolutely ridiculous, he will be a St. Louis Cardinal all year. When the year ends the press of a legitimate deadline — his free agency — will likely make more happen than anything that could have been expected in these past few weeks.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 23
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 82
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 8
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 17
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (82)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)