Feb 16, 2011, 10:43 AM EDT
The official deadline was to be 11AM, but Buster Olney just tweeted the following:
Pujols contract talks are over. Deadline will pass without a deal. Have not been proposals swapped in last 100 hours or so.
And it wouldn’t have been that big a deal if Pujols hadn’t gone and set a deadline. Not that it necessarily matters to him or should — the guy should do what he wants to — but the frenzy that has been built up among the Cardinals fans and the media covering this deadline thing is a pretty artificial creation.
Pujols will show up in camp tomorrow. He’ll give a few no comments. Then he’ll go out and start abusing baseballs. Barring the absolutely ridiculous, he will be a St. Louis Cardinal all year. When the year ends the press of a legitimate deadline — his free agency — will likely make more happen than anything that could have been expected in these past few weeks.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 21
- Mets acquire center fielder Carlos Gomez from Brewers 40
- Rangers “close to getting” Phillies ace Cole Hamels 55
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 65
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)