Feb 16, 2011, 8:03 PM EDT
It’s a minor one, but we might have our first injury of this year’s spring training.
According to Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com, Blue Jays reliever Jon Rauch twisted his ankle while walking down a flight of stairs earlier this week at the club’s spring training complex in Dunedin, Florida and missed a scheduled bullpen session Wednesday because of it.
Rauch was able to play long toss on flat ground and should be back atop a mound by this weekend. The Jays are simply playing it safe here in mid-February with their new setup man.
“We just want to be sure that he has passed some tests from a physical standpoint before we put him back on the mound,” Blue Jays manager John Farrell said Wednesday in camp. “We’ve got time on our side right now, and there’s no reason to think he won’t be ready once we get into the [Grapefruit League] schedule.”
Rauch, 32, signed a one-year, $3.5 million contract with Toronto this winter after posting a 3.12 ERA and 46/14 K/BB ratio across 59 appearances in 2010 for the Twins. He’s expected to work as a setup man this year behind new Blue Jays closer Frank Francisco, who was acquired via trade from the Rangers last month.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)