Feb 16, 2011, 8:03 PM EST
It’s a minor one, but we might have our first injury of this year’s spring training.
According to Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com, Blue Jays reliever Jon Rauch twisted his ankle while walking down a flight of stairs earlier this week at the club’s spring training complex in Dunedin, Florida and missed a scheduled bullpen session Wednesday because of it.
Rauch was able to play long toss on flat ground and should be back atop a mound by this weekend. The Jays are simply playing it safe here in mid-February with their new setup man.
“We just want to be sure that he has passed some tests from a physical standpoint before we put him back on the mound,” Blue Jays manager John Farrell said Wednesday in camp. “We’ve got time on our side right now, and there’s no reason to think he won’t be ready once we get into the [Grapefruit League] schedule.”
Rauch, 32, signed a one-year, $3.5 million contract with Toronto this winter after posting a 3.12 ERA and 46/14 K/BB ratio across 59 appearances in 2010 for the Twins. He’s expected to work as a setup man this year behind new Blue Jays closer Frank Francisco, who was acquired via trade from the Rangers last month.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 142
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 66
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (144)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)