K-Rod is very, very sorry

Feb 16, 2011, 4:10 PM EDT

k-rod running in from bullpen

Last year when Francisco Rodriguez arrived at spring training he had a new Italian sports car delivered to the parking lot on the back of a flatbed truck.  This year, a bit more humility. You’ll have that when you’re still on your “I apologize for getting into that fight with my girlfriend’s dad in the clubhouse” apology tour:

“It was an unfortunate situation I put myself in. I regret it 1,000 percent. I’ve got to move on and learn from this mistake. It made me grow up more as a human being and I’m truly sorry for the way I put my teammates and the organization and of course the fans in that spot in that situation. I’m just looking for Mets fans to give me one more opportunity to go out there and prove to them it’s a different Frankie Rodriguez.”

And you know he’s serious because 1,000% is an awful lot of percents.

1. phukyouk - Feb 16, 2011 at 4:14 PM

I’m sorry for beating up an old man that was stopping me from beating up a younger women. yea.. works for me. play ball.

• bigharold - Feb 16, 2011 at 5:02 PM

What a LOSER, .. K-Rod not you.

2. Jonny 5 - Feb 16, 2011 at 4:15 PM

He will flog himself about the head every time he comes out and closes a game as penance for his actions. I promise.

• xmatt0926x - Feb 16, 2011 at 4:37 PM

I agree. If him and the rest of the idiots on that team stop with the choreographed celebrations for every little accomplishment then the rest of the world will forgive him. Practice the basics of the game and get that down before you spend hours perfecting your save celebration, homerun trot (whether they are down 5 runs or up 5 runs) or whatever other hand slapping thing they seem to specialize in (again, down or up 5 runs, usually down though).

3. sdelmonte - Feb 16, 2011 at 4:48 PM

It would be really interesting, and unlikely, to have anyone ever say “yeah, I know what I did really hurt my career, but the guy had it coming.” But at least it would be sincere.

4. JB (the original) - Feb 16, 2011 at 4:54 PM

But, is he in the “best shape of his life?”

5. cur68 - Feb 16, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Ahhh K-Rod. What do I say? Don’t be a douche this season & wear a hair shirt to show contrition, then maybe you’ll be forgiven. I hope you mean all that “I’ll be a better guy this season” stuff. We’ll be watching.

6. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 16, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Well done leaving his license plate perfectly visible, by the way.

7. phukyouk - Feb 16, 2011 at 7:45 PM

What does K-Rod say to a women with 2 black eyes?

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3721)