Feb 16, 2011, 10:32 AM EDT
There are a lot of these sorts of deals around — former player agrees to hang out at spring training and work with select players on his area of expertise. Kenny Lofton is a great choice for this in Indians camp. The stuff he did best is the stuff that is probably the most teachable: making smart decisions on the basepaths, positioning oneself correctly on defensive. No, he can’t teach his speed, but any little bit helps coming from a guy with his track record.
The unusual thing about this deal — and I’m really only half-joking — is that it’s not at all out of the realm of possibility that he’d be a better choice for the Indians’ roster than some of the guys who will ultimately make it.
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 2
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 11
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 2
- Madison Bumgarner threw his fastest pitch since 2010 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 27
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 18
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)