Kenny Lofton to be an Indians instructor/team ambassador

Feb 16, 2011, 10:32 AM EDT

Lofton_Kenny_Indians.standard[1]-thumb-250x195-5279

There are a lot of these sorts of deals around — former player agrees to hang out at spring training and work with select players on his area of expertise.  Kenny Lofton is a great choice for this in Indians camp.  The stuff he did best is the stuff that is probably the most teachable: making smart decisions on the basepaths, positioning oneself correctly on defensive.  No, he can’t teach his speed, but any little bit helps coming from a guy with his track record.

The unusual thing about this deal — and I’m really only half-joking — is that it’s not at all out of the realm of possibility that he’d be a better choice for the Indians’ roster than some of the guys who will ultimately make it.

1. Kevin S. - Feb 16, 2011 at 10:35 AM

He should make a comeback. Reset his Cooperstown clock, give the BBWAA a chance to appreciate how great he really was.

2. BC - Feb 16, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Going to be an interesting HOF case. I’d likely say no, given that Raines isn’t getting any love, Lofton probably won’t either.

• hasbeen5 - Feb 16, 2011 at 11:14 AM

I think Raines should be in no question. Not sure yet about Lofton but he deserves a real look.

• BC - Feb 16, 2011 at 11:45 AM

I agree, but unfortunately I don’t think either will ever be voted in.

3. Lukehart80 - Feb 16, 2011 at 10:53 AM

I think Lofton deserves a long, hard look for the Hall, but he seems like the sort of player who won’t. Kenny is one of my 2 or 3 favorite Indians’ ever (Insert Crazy Horse joke here) and I’m excited to have him involved in the organization again. If no team will let him help by actually playing, this is the next best thing.

4. bigtrav425 - Feb 16, 2011 at 11:28 AM

This should be great for Micheal Brantley.Hopefully he listens and learns alot so the tribe can show that we totally didnt get rear ended in the CC trade like we did the Lee trade

5. Chris K - Feb 16, 2011 at 11:37 AM

I’d love to see the hat discussion for his HOF induction…I guess he played the most for Cleveland but…dude played for a lot of teams.

I would love to see him in the HOF. Good guy, great player, the guy even finished college (from what I gather from bits and pieces). Dominating leadoff man who I think should be in (along with Raines).

Also, the dude consistently rakes for me in Baseball Mogul

• motherscratcher23 - Feb 16, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Don’t be silly. If he ever goes in, he goes as an Indian. There is no debate.

6. tribester - Feb 16, 2011 at 1:14 PM

If he came back to play and convinced Sandy to leave the first base coach gig, the Indians might have a chance this season.

7. cur68 - Feb 16, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Good dude, Lofton. Best of luck to him and Griffey Jr in their post playing days. HOF guys both of ‘em, no doubt about it. Will Lofton get in? Plenty of doubt. Anyhow, hope they get nice offices with some sun comin in; easier to snooze those long spring days away.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet