Feb 16, 2011, 9:55 PM EDT
The Padres and Giants battled to a tight finish in the National League West standings last season.
It all came down to one final three-game series in San Francisco that almost saw the Giants blow a three-game division lead. They eventually wrapped up that series with a win in Game 162 and went on to win the World Series.
Both the Giants and Padres, whether thinking in realistic terms or not, are expecting a tight race again in 2011. Fuel: meet fire.
This probably won’t lead to anything. It’s just a case of Latos having a little fun, and the Giants’ players probably won’t want to start a war of words by making some kind of comeback remark. But that stuff between the Cardinals and Reds last season was pretty exciting and saying you “hate” a team is at least somewhat close to calling that team a “bunch of little b–ches.” Right?
So, uh, Fight!?
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)