Feb 16, 2011, 9:55 PM EST
The Padres and Giants battled to a tight finish in the National League West standings last season.
It all came down to one final three-game series in San Francisco that almost saw the Giants blow a three-game division lead. They eventually wrapped up that series with a win in Game 162 and went on to win the World Series.
Both the Giants and Padres, whether thinking in realistic terms or not, are expecting a tight race again in 2011. Fuel: meet fire.
This probably won’t lead to anything. It’s just a case of Latos having a little fun, and the Giants’ players probably won’t want to start a war of words by making some kind of comeback remark. But that stuff between the Cardinals and Reds last season was pretty exciting and saying you “hate” a team is at least somewhat close to calling that team a “bunch of little b–ches.” Right?
So, uh, Fight!?
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 20
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 45
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 27
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)