Feb 16, 2011, 9:55 PM EDT
The Padres and Giants battled to a tight finish in the National League West standings last season.
It all came down to one final three-game series in San Francisco that almost saw the Giants blow a three-game division lead. They eventually wrapped up that series with a win in Game 162 and went on to win the World Series.
Both the Giants and Padres, whether thinking in realistic terms or not, are expecting a tight race again in 2011. Fuel: meet fire.
This probably won’t lead to anything. It’s just a case of Latos having a little fun, and the Giants’ players probably won’t want to start a war of words by making some kind of comeback remark. But that stuff between the Cardinals and Reds last season was pretty exciting and saying you “hate” a team is at least somewhat close to calling that team a “bunch of little b–ches.” Right?
So, uh, Fight!?
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 63
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 62
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 62
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29