Feb 16, 2011, 2:14 PM EDT
Red Sox prospect William Abreu, a 19-year-old pitcher in rookie-ball, has been suspended 50 games after testing positive for the anabolic steroid known as Deca-Durabolin.
Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com notes that Abreu is just the second Red Sox minor leaguer to be suspended for PED use, with the first being Felix Romero back in 2005.
Abreu, who was signed out of the Dominican Republic last year, has yet to play a professional game.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12