Feb 16, 2011, 2:14 PM EST
Red Sox prospect William Abreu, a 19-year-old pitcher in rookie-ball, has been suspended 50 games after testing positive for the anabolic steroid known as Deca-Durabolin.
Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com notes that Abreu is just the second Red Sox minor leaguer to be suspended for PED use, with the first being Felix Romero back in 2005.
Abreu, who was signed out of the Dominican Republic last year, has yet to play a professional game.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 65
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (228)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)