Feb 16, 2011, 2:14 PM EDT
Red Sox prospect William Abreu, a 19-year-old pitcher in rookie-ball, has been suspended 50 games after testing positive for the anabolic steroid known as Deca-Durabolin.
Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com notes that Abreu is just the second Red Sox minor leaguer to be suspended for PED use, with the first being Felix Romero back in 2005.
Abreu, who was signed out of the Dominican Republic last year, has yet to play a professional game.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 5
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)