Feb 16, 2011, 2:14 PM EDT
Red Sox prospect William Abreu, a 19-year-old pitcher in rookie-ball, has been suspended 50 games after testing positive for the anabolic steroid known as Deca-Durabolin.
Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com notes that Abreu is just the second Red Sox minor leaguer to be suspended for PED use, with the first being Felix Romero back in 2005.
Abreu, who was signed out of the Dominican Republic last year, has yet to play a professional game.
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 2
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 88
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 16
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (88)