Roger Bernadina is in the best shape of his … OH MY GOD!

Feb 16, 2011, 1:30 PM EDT

Roger Bernadina AP

I just put the pic of Bernadina in his uniform up so that the post will still look nice and fancy on the iPad app.  And because I don’t have the rights to use the photo of Bernadina from this morning that just got put up over at the Washington Post. Click through to look at it. I’ll wait.

Wow.

There was a time when a dude showing up to spring training looking like Roger Bernadina does would cause everyone to get suspicious. I’m not suspicious, though. Just curious.  And most of that curiosity is about where in the hell Bernadina is going to find shirts that fit him this year.

1. bigxrob - Feb 16, 2011 at 1:45 PM

Murray Chass just put Roger on his list

2. Joe - Feb 16, 2011 at 1:54 PM

The story says that Bernadina spent the offseason in the Netherlands. Which, as you know, has some pretty robust drug laws.

• backstop5 - Feb 16, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Yeah, those strict US Anti drug laws really seem to help in reducing the problem.
      What’s that, drug use in the US is much higher then in the Netherlands?
      Oh well, nothing to see here, move on please….

• cktai - Feb 16, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Its true, the Netherlands have pretty robust drug laws. There is a non-enforcement policy for soft drugs (marijuana) and a pretty strict policy for hard drugs (excluding alcohol).

This is why every single research on drug use in the USA and the Netherlands show that in the Netherlands the use of every single recreational drug, except for alcohol is lower then in the USA. (for example marijuana use is twice as high in the USA, while cocaine use is three or four times as high depending on the source).

Related to this might be that far less Dutch athletes are caught using PED then American athletes.

• cktai - Feb 16, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Although English spelling tends to be worse.

3. Panda Claus - Feb 16, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Nice guns. But how come he’s not wearing a hat (in the linked pic)? Did his old one explode when he put it on?

Actually, he looks pretty much the same except for the arms Maybe he knows Tony Horton.

4. benyamen - Feb 16, 2011 at 2:09 PM

This looks like an obvious photoshop deal as I can see the pixelation around his left bicep … etc.

I don’t know how it’s humanly possible (apart from PED) to grow one’s biceps and shoulders that much in one offseason. That my friends looks like a heck of a lot more than “10 pounds” of added weight. Especially considering that his chest looks like it is still inverted comparably.

• Joe - Feb 16, 2011 at 2:29 PM

I’m not sure how the Washington Post would benefit from photoshopping a photo of Roger Berandina. Something that could be easily demonstrated to be altered literally within minutes of it being published by probably dozens of people who were at the Nats camp with cameras or cell phones yesterday.

The worst-case scenario is that their journalistic integrity, which is probably important to a newspaper, takes a hit, The best case scenario is…that their story gets some extra hits because Craig Calcaterra linked it?

• woodenulykteneau - Feb 16, 2011 at 3:37 PM

CSNWashington’s Mark Zuckerman has this pic which tends to show that yes, indeed, Roger Bernadina now has the physique of Gabe Kapler. Wonder if he’ll hit as many HRs…

5. Utley's Hair - Feb 16, 2011 at 2:28 PM

If the photo was doctored to make him look juiced, are his HOF chances ruined?

6. Jonny 5 - Feb 16, 2011 at 2:46 PM

David Wright looked alot like that when he showed up to Spring training last season.

7. BC - Feb 16, 2011 at 2:53 PM

He looks like Nomar Garciaparra on that SI cover.

8. thinman61 - Feb 16, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Damn. Adam Kilgore. I miss the days when he covered the Red Sox for the Boston Globe. And no, he totally wouldn’t be involved in anything to do with photoshopped pics.

9. cur68 - Feb 16, 2011 at 6:58 PM

According to Schwarzenegger (1984) a person can gain an average of 7 to 8 lbs of muscle /year with correct diet & exercise alone. I’m going to trust that source since he knows how to exceed that amount with some help from his pharmacist, a horse vet, and knowledge of where his ass is and how to inject it. Most people round up when they’re talking about how much muscle they’ve put on (well, ok, I mean me. I round up. Sue me.). I’ll give him the benefit. Now the only question is; can he hit?

10. sharkadina - Feb 16, 2011 at 8:51 PM

He’s ripped and ready to win the starting LF role for the nats.

He has the coolest nickname too, “The Shark.” Apparently it is because he tracks down fly balls like a shark going after it’s prey. Funny article on the nickname

• cur68 - Feb 16, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Alright Roger. Cut it out. Just take BP swinging with those grapefruits up your sleeves and leave to illiterate writing to us, ok?

• sharkadina - Feb 16, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Not the shark (although I wish I was…the man is built like a tank). Just a huge fan.

11. cur68 - Feb 16, 2011 at 9:20 PM

@sharkadina; you mean ‘fin’ not ‘fan’.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3729)