Feb 16, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
Yesterday Tony La Russa said that, though he has no evidence that he MLBPA is pressuring Albert Pujols to hold out for top dollar, he suspected it was the case. More than suspected, actually, he called it a “guaranteed assumption.” Then Mike Weiner of the MLBA said it wasn’t true. And Scott Boras — who knows from guys who are looking for top dollar — said that it never happens that way.
Most people involved in such a he-said, she-said would normally either back down or clam up about it at that point, realizing that there’s nothing to be gained absent some kind of evidence in their favor. Not Tony La Russa, who told reporters today that “it strains credibility a little bit to say there hasn’t been any contact” between Pujols and the union. Which is a fancy way of saying that Weiner and Boras are lying.
I commend Tony La Russa for so bravely sticking to his guns on this. I mean, it’s not going to be easy to make someone other than the Cardinals the villains if and when Albert Pujols leaves via free agency because they’re not the highest bidder. It’s exactly this kind of tenacious behavior by La Russa, however, that gives them a fighting chance and casting the union — a party that is not at the bargaining table — in the bad guy role.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 6
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 4
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)