A man sues the Braves over a beating in Turner Field

Feb 17, 2011, 2:59 PM EDT

Turner Field

We Braves fans get knocked for being apathetic on the one hand and then we get sued the moment we show any spirit. How is that fair?!

A Pittsburgh Pirates fan is suing the Atlanta Braves because the baseball club’s security officers and ushers allegedly ignored complaints about six rowdy fans who later attacked the Macon man, knocking out 11 teeth, breaking his jaw and leaving him in a pool of blood outside a Turner Field restroom.

Seriously, though, the details sound awful.  No clue if the suit has any merit or if the Braves have any liability, but I would think that it’s hard to fake having 11 teeth knocked out.  No matter what went down, this guy sounded like he had a bad game.

I’ve been at ballgames where groups of drunkards sat near me.  I’ve been lucky enough, however, that they’re always the good natured kind of drunkards who make you laugh, not the obnoxious ones.  I don’t think my experience is necessarily representative of those who encounter drunks at ballgames though.

(thanks to Brian E. for the heads up)

1. nps6724 - Feb 17, 2011 at 3:06 PM

He’s from Macon. How can we be sure he even HAD those 11 teeth at the time??

2. steve keane - Feb 17, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Can the Wilpon’s get in on that lawsuit ? The Mets have taken a lot of beatings at the Ted, good way to recoup some of that Madoff funny money

3. Alex K - Feb 17, 2011 at 3:13 PM

I know it was you who did the beating up, Tim’s Neighbor!

• Tim's Neighbor - Feb 17, 2011 at 3:59 PM

I only did my beating when in the Paintbrush suit. B-RUSH!

• Tim's Neighbor - Feb 17, 2011 at 4:13 PM

If the guy was in a drill outfit, there’s video proof:

The Paintbrush looks jacked.

• Tim's Neighbor - Feb 17, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Wow. Didn’t know you could now embed. Def didn’t mean to do that.

• Alex K - Feb 17, 2011 at 5:03 PM

B-Rush is weak. I know this for a fact.

4. cur68 - Feb 17, 2011 at 3:14 PM

After all the beatings the Braves have hung on the Pirates over the years you’d think they wouldn’t have to go for the fans too. 11 teeth you say? That’s hard to do. I watch a lot of hockey (mostly for the fights) and the most teeth I can recall seeing one guy lose is three (Steve Smith of the Oilers took a puck to the kisser, picked up 3 ‘objects’ and skated off. Returned ~20 minutes later and resumed play. Chuck Norris Manly Golf Clap was awarded). So to lose 11 at once implies, in my mind, repeated heavy blows to the face. Broken jaw fits that picture, too. However such a scenario would kill a person. He’s lucky to be alive after an horrific beating OR he had crappy dental work and a glass jaw and it only took 1 or 2 shots OR something else happened. This story has some holes, not unlike this chaps smile. Hope he’s doing ok and the law gets it’s teeth into this one. Pun intended.

5. megary - Feb 17, 2011 at 3:15 PM

I thought from reading this site that this stuff only happens in Philly and NYC.

• xmatt0926x - Feb 17, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Megary, please dont get Craig started. Soon enough the season will begin and Phillies fans will be taking plenty of beatings from Craig and his evil wit. until then let’s hope he stays occupied with the NFL and Frenchy Franceour.

6. Jonny 5 - Feb 17, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Braves fans are just a total disgrace… The worst of all other fans.

• nps6724 - Feb 17, 2011 at 3:24 PM

What if this becomes a regular occurrence? Would that lead to an increase in our rankings?

• Utley's Hair - Feb 17, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Especially the ones who live in the Midwest.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 17, 2011 at 4:29 PM

That felt kinda good UT. I’m so used to hearing about how horrible we are. I had to take advantage here just to see how it felt… Wasn’t bad..

• Utley's Hair - Feb 17, 2011 at 5:06 PM

I hears ya.

• cintiphil - Feb 18, 2011 at 10:54 AM

IN case you didn’t know, Pittsburgh or Atlanta are not in the midwest.

7. atlsp - Feb 17, 2011 at 3:29 PM

We can debate the 11 teeth all day long but Elmer lost all credibility with me when he said he was charting pitches (for both teams) from Section 217. That’s up on the terrace level down the RF line! No chance you’re charting pitches from there.

8. Professor Longnose - Feb 17, 2011 at 3:54 PM

I was at a Mets-Yankees game at Shea Stadium once and the usual taunting between the Mets and Yankees fans in my section started to turn edgy. Then it got nasty, and threatened to turn ugly.

Then, just when war could have broken out, someone stood up and yelled “Go, Red Sox!” Everyone, Yanks and Mets fans alike, turned on the guy and happily spent the rest of the game taunting him.

Everyone went home happy. I don’t anyone even noticed who won.

• cintiphil - Feb 18, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Did they all knock his teeth out?

9. spudchukar - Feb 17, 2011 at 7:01 PM

I’m on a jury. Someone claims to have been beaten badly at a Braves game. I am skeptical. When is the last time the Braves beat anyone badly?

• cur68 - Feb 17, 2011 at 8:11 PM

wouldn’t that be every time the play the Pirates?

10. Old Gator - Feb 17, 2011 at 10:37 PM

I think this guy’s teeth were actually dislodged by the burrowing larvae of the tooth fairy. If he snores at night, the females have plenty of opportunities to deposit their eggs in his gums. I say let Dr. G check him out during his deposition.

11. cintiphil - Feb 18, 2011 at 11:14 AM

The problem here is just this. Atlanta is not alone in sports violence by the fans. I do want to mention that this town is not a baseball town. I have been there and attended baseball games. They are strictly a football town. Parks like Houston and Atlanta are the birthplaces of the “wave”, never known in baseball parks before these towns got the game. It is true that football usually brings out more violent fans than does baseball. That is the most logical explanation for this stupid conduct by any fans in any park for any sport!

Having said that, this can happen in any park, but much more likely in certain ones.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2977)