Feb 17, 2011, 4:57 PM EDT
- Dombrowski has spoke with Cabrera today. Cabrera was “down, feels bad and was apologetic”;
- Dombrowski said “We have an issue here that needs to be addressed and helped”;
- Dombrowski expects Cabrera to join the club soon, but he’s not exactly sure when. First position player workouts are Saturday;
- Dombrowski was asked if he was disappointed in Cabrera, but he wouldn’t comment on that.
Cabrera won’t be disciplined by Major League Baseball over all of this because there isn’t a mechanism for baseball to do anything about criminal stuff that doesn’t involve the game. The focus of all of this going forward, then, must necessarily be on Cabrera’s health and obvious alcohol problem. If you’re Dave Dombrowski, you have to weight sending Cabrera to some sort of treatment program. Or, you have to wonder whether it’s better to get him back into baseball activities — a routine and physical conditioning that makes drinking harder for him –paired up with in-camp counseling.
No easy answers, of course. And it’s certainly the case that the person who is best positioned to help Miguel Cabrera is … Miguel Cabrera.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 88
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 15
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 35
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 40
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 350
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (351)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (190)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)