Feb 17, 2011, 4:57 PM EDT
- Dombrowski has spoke with Cabrera today. Cabrera was “down, feels bad and was apologetic”;
- Dombrowski said “We have an issue here that needs to be addressed and helped”;
- Dombrowski expects Cabrera to join the club soon, but he’s not exactly sure when. First position player workouts are Saturday;
- Dombrowski was asked if he was disappointed in Cabrera, but he wouldn’t comment on that.
Cabrera won’t be disciplined by Major League Baseball over all of this because there isn’t a mechanism for baseball to do anything about criminal stuff that doesn’t involve the game. The focus of all of this going forward, then, must necessarily be on Cabrera’s health and obvious alcohol problem. If you’re Dave Dombrowski, you have to weight sending Cabrera to some sort of treatment program. Or, you have to wonder whether it’s better to get him back into baseball activities — a routine and physical conditioning that makes drinking harder for him –paired up with in-camp counseling.
No easy answers, of course. And it’s certainly the case that the person who is best positioned to help Miguel Cabrera is … Miguel Cabrera.
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 11
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 10
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 9
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 80
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)