Feb 17, 2011, 4:57 PM EDT
- Dombrowski has spoke with Cabrera today. Cabrera was “down, feels bad and was apologetic”;
- Dombrowski said “We have an issue here that needs to be addressed and helped”;
- Dombrowski expects Cabrera to join the club soon, but he’s not exactly sure when. First position player workouts are Saturday;
- Dombrowski was asked if he was disappointed in Cabrera, but he wouldn’t comment on that.
Cabrera won’t be disciplined by Major League Baseball over all of this because there isn’t a mechanism for baseball to do anything about criminal stuff that doesn’t involve the game. The focus of all of this going forward, then, must necessarily be on Cabrera’s health and obvious alcohol problem. If you’re Dave Dombrowski, you have to weight sending Cabrera to some sort of treatment program. Or, you have to wonder whether it’s better to get him back into baseball activities — a routine and physical conditioning that makes drinking harder for him –paired up with in-camp counseling.
No easy answers, of course. And it’s certainly the case that the person who is best positioned to help Miguel Cabrera is … Miguel Cabrera.
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 2
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 21
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 60
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 84
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 90
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 19
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)