Feb 17, 2011, 2:14 PM EDT
After sitting out all of last season following back surgery Joe Crede signed a minor-league deal with Colorado last month, but the veteran third baseman has decided not to show up at Rockies camp next week and is now a free agent again.
His agent, Scott Boras, previously said that Crede was “healthy and ready to go” and there’s no indication yet why he decided not to compete for a job with the Rockies, but the no-show may end whatever chance the oft-injured 32-year-old had of playing in the majors again.
Crede had a good first half for the Twins in 2009, but fell apart in the second half while missing all but 22 games with more back problems and eventually underwent his third operation in three years.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)