Feb 17, 2011, 12:45 PM EST
Unable to find a guaranteed job following season-ending shoulder surgery seven months ago John Maine has agreed to a minor-league contract with the Rockies, according to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.
At least a half-dozen teams were said to be interested in Maine, but clearly none were willing to give him much upfront money or a spot on the 40-man roster. And based on his decision to join the team with the most hitter-friendly home ballpark in baseball and a seemingly full starting rotation it seems unlikely that any other teams offered him much of role either.
Crasnick reports that Maine can opt out of the contract if he’s not on the Opening Day roster, so it’s only a “minor-league deal” in the sense that it doesn’t require Colorado placing him on the roster while they evaluate him in camp. If he does make the team, Maine could earn up to $3 million.
Maine was a solid mid-rotation starter for the Mets from 2006-2009, but always had durability issues and threw a total of just 121 innings with a 4.98 ERA in the past two seasons before going under the knife in July. Colorado has Ubaldo Jimenez, Jorge De La Rosa, Aaron Cook, Jhoulys Chacin, and Jason Hammel lined up as starters, so if Maine does make the team it’ll likely be as a middle reliever (or on the disabled list).
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 80
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 143
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)