Feb 17, 2011, 12:45 PM EDT
Unable to find a guaranteed job following season-ending shoulder surgery seven months ago John Maine has agreed to a minor-league contract with the Rockies, according to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.
At least a half-dozen teams were said to be interested in Maine, but clearly none were willing to give him much upfront money or a spot on the 40-man roster. And based on his decision to join the team with the most hitter-friendly home ballpark in baseball and a seemingly full starting rotation it seems unlikely that any other teams offered him much of role either.
Crasnick reports that Maine can opt out of the contract if he’s not on the Opening Day roster, so it’s only a “minor-league deal” in the sense that it doesn’t require Colorado placing him on the roster while they evaluate him in camp. If he does make the team, Maine could earn up to $3 million.
Maine was a solid mid-rotation starter for the Mets from 2006-2009, but always had durability issues and threw a total of just 121 innings with a 4.98 ERA in the past two seasons before going under the knife in July. Colorado has Ubaldo Jimenez, Jorge De La Rosa, Aaron Cook, Jhoulys Chacin, and Jason Hammel lined up as starters, so if Maine does make the team it’ll likely be as a middle reliever (or on the disabled list).
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 1
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)