Feb 17, 2011, 12:45 PM EDT
Unable to find a guaranteed job following season-ending shoulder surgery seven months ago John Maine has agreed to a minor-league contract with the Rockies, according to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.
At least a half-dozen teams were said to be interested in Maine, but clearly none were willing to give him much upfront money or a spot on the 40-man roster. And based on his decision to join the team with the most hitter-friendly home ballpark in baseball and a seemingly full starting rotation it seems unlikely that any other teams offered him much of role either.
Crasnick reports that Maine can opt out of the contract if he’s not on the Opening Day roster, so it’s only a “minor-league deal” in the sense that it doesn’t require Colorado placing him on the roster while they evaluate him in camp. If he does make the team, Maine could earn up to $3 million.
Maine was a solid mid-rotation starter for the Mets from 2006-2009, but always had durability issues and threw a total of just 121 innings with a 4.98 ERA in the past two seasons before going under the knife in July. Colorado has Ubaldo Jimenez, Jorge De La Rosa, Aaron Cook, Jhoulys Chacin, and Jason Hammel lined up as starters, so if Maine does make the team it’ll likely be as a middle reliever (or on the disabled list).
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 0
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 2
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 35
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)