Feb 17, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
If you’re goin’ down, go down with dignity. Miguel Cabrera was either uwilling or simply unable to do that when he was arrested last night.
According to the TC Palm, Cabrera made reference to another person — who was not on the scene — saying “I’m going (expletive) kill him.” Then he played the “do you know who I am?” card which is never good. But it got worse:
A deputy reported Cabrera was put in handcuffs after not following orders. Cabrera also “kept running out in the road with his hands up.”
A deputy asked Cabrera to get his a patrol vehicle, and he said, “(Expletive) you.”
Miguel Cabrera pushed off a vehicle into a deputy, who “delivered 3-4 knee spikes” into Cabrera’s left thigh.
The police report described Cabrera as “belligerent, cocky, combative and argumentative.” He was charged with resisting an officer without violence.
Notably, Cabrera refused the breath test. The legal advice surrounding that is more complicated than many believe, and the “never ever take a breathalyser test ” advice you often hear casually passed around isn’t always the right move.
But to the extent not taking a breath test is the smart play, it’s only because by doing so the police have to establish that you were intoxicated by other means. When you drink from an open bottle, run into traffic, slur your speech and cuss out the cops, well, the game is pretty much up my friend.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 32
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 25
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 35
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 71
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 220
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)