Feb 17, 2011, 11:30 AM EDT
Albert Pujols hit Cardinals training camp today and met the press. By all reports he was calm, cool and collected. He said that he’s not just about the money and that he wants to be a Cardinal for life. He said that he has no ill will with the Cardinals over negotiations and that it will be business as usual this season. He also commented on that report that was floating around yesterday that the Cardinals lowballed him:
Pujols said he hopes to remain a Cardinal forever. Also said he and his agent and the Cardinals laughed at reported contract numbers.
If it was just he and his agent laughing I suppose there could be some ambiguity there regarding whether it was laughable because it was a bad report or that the reported low offer was itself laughable. But if the Cardinals were laughing too, it suggests that the notion that they truly tried to offer Pujols a relative pittance compared to his value is a false one and that the report was off the mark. It may have been low — and there are multiple reports saying that it was below Alex Rodriguez-money — but that “not even in the top ten stuff” that was being discussed yesterday is looking less plausible.
And really: if he was really saying that the Cardinals’ offer was laughable, it would have flown in the face of all the good vibes Pujols tried to send out this morning.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 14
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 34
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 84
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)