Feb 17, 2011, 11:47 AM EDT
Rich Harden got hurt before anyone could even set up the “when will Rich Harden get hurt” pool.
According to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle the oft-injured right-hander “has stiffness in the lat area” and has been “shut down for a few weeks.”
Slusser reports that he tried to throw Tuesday, but called it quits after 10-15 pitches when the stiffness “didn’t improve immediately.”
Harden, who hasn’t thrown 150 innings in a season since 2004 and has had his incredibly promising career wrecked by one injury after another, returned to Oakland on an incentive-laden one-year deal worth just $1.5 million in guaranteed money.
He’s expected to compete for the fifth spot in the A’s rotation, but this injury could make a bullpen job more likely if/when he gets healthy. And ultimately that might be better for him anyway.
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 1
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 36
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 26
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 60
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)