Feb 17, 2011, 8:23 AM EDT
Headlines you don’t expect to see in the Wall Street Journal: “Is this the fattest Yankees team ever?” But I gotta admit, the WSJ’s antiquated “Mr.” this and “Mr.” that is particularly comical when it’s basically an article calling everyone fatties:
Everywhere you look on this Yankee team, there is a player tipping the scale with some serious heft. Baseball players are tall people, more so than fans might realize—but most of these giants aren’t exactly boasting six-pack abs.
Going by the listed weights, the Yankees have 18 players in camp listed at 225 pounds or more, just under one-third of the total group in camp. Five players are listed at 250 pounds or more. On the pitching staff, new arrivals Freddy Garcia (250) and Bartolo Colon (245) join the mammoth Mr. Sabathia (290) and the voluminous Phil Hughes (240).
I like to point out the weight stories all winter and early spring because I think they’re fun, but really, I don’t care. Like Kruk said “Lady, I’m not an athlete. I’m a baseball player.”
I will note for the record, however, that “The Voluminous Phil Hughes” would make an excellent name for a rock band.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)