Feb 17, 2011, 8:23 AM EDT
Headlines you don’t expect to see in the Wall Street Journal: “Is this the fattest Yankees team ever?” But I gotta admit, the WSJ’s antiquated “Mr.” this and “Mr.” that is particularly comical when it’s basically an article calling everyone fatties:
Everywhere you look on this Yankee team, there is a player tipping the scale with some serious heft. Baseball players are tall people, more so than fans might realize—but most of these giants aren’t exactly boasting six-pack abs.
Going by the listed weights, the Yankees have 18 players in camp listed at 225 pounds or more, just under one-third of the total group in camp. Five players are listed at 250 pounds or more. On the pitching staff, new arrivals Freddy Garcia (250) and Bartolo Colon (245) join the mammoth Mr. Sabathia (290) and the voluminous Phil Hughes (240).
I like to point out the weight stories all winter and early spring because I think they’re fun, but really, I don’t care. Like Kruk said “Lady, I’m not an athlete. I’m a baseball player.”
I will note for the record, however, that “The Voluminous Phil Hughes” would make an excellent name for a rock band.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 50
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 25
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)