Feb 17, 2011, 8:23 AM EDT
Headlines you don’t expect to see in the Wall Street Journal: “Is this the fattest Yankees team ever?” But I gotta admit, the WSJ’s antiquated “Mr.” this and “Mr.” that is particularly comical when it’s basically an article calling everyone fatties:
Everywhere you look on this Yankee team, there is a player tipping the scale with some serious heft. Baseball players are tall people, more so than fans might realize—but most of these giants aren’t exactly boasting six-pack abs.
Going by the listed weights, the Yankees have 18 players in camp listed at 225 pounds or more, just under one-third of the total group in camp. Five players are listed at 250 pounds or more. On the pitching staff, new arrivals Freddy Garcia (250) and Bartolo Colon (245) join the mammoth Mr. Sabathia (290) and the voluminous Phil Hughes (240).
I like to point out the weight stories all winter and early spring because I think they’re fun, but really, I don’t care. Like Kruk said “Lady, I’m not an athlete. I’m a baseball player.”
I will note for the record, however, that “The Voluminous Phil Hughes” would make an excellent name for a rock band.
- Ryne Sandberg opines on baseball’s steroid era 21
- Watch David Wells’ perfect game from 15 years ago today 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 61
- Army Lt. Col. surprises daughter on ceremonial first pitch 34
- Bryce Harper in Nationals’ lineup for first time since crashing into right field wall 8
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness