The Yankees are still interested in Kevin Millwood

Feb 17, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT

kevin_millwood

Joel Sherman says that the Yankees are still interested in Kevin Millwood, but they’re not willing to do anything much more beyond a minor league deal with him.

Makes sense. They have a lot of moderately warm bodies competing for the back end of the rotation.  None of them in and of themselves seems like a lock to be reliable, but the more past-their-prime pitchers you bring together in one camp, the greater the likelihood that at least one of them will pan out, right?

Still, Millwood may not be the right fit.  I mean, we have no idea at all how fat he got over the winter, and that appears to be pretty critical for the Yankees.

1. Old Gator - Feb 17, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Is anybody really certain they don’t just want to part him out on the transplant organ black market? These are the Steinbrenners, you recall. Once they send him down to AA to get in shape no one will remember what happened to him anyway.

• yankeesfanlen - Feb 17, 2011 at 1:24 PM

That’s probably the best idea that will happen in these parts.

2. thelucasjj - Feb 17, 2011 at 1:14 PM

These posts related to the pitchers the Yankees are either interested in or have signed should be hash-tagged with #thisissad.

• bigxrob - Feb 17, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Why do people put a pound sign in front of everything?
      (may be unrelated to this post)

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 17, 2011 at 2:39 PM

It’s a reference to a Twitter hashtag, which is essentially a topic in that world.

3. pisano - Feb 17, 2011 at 1:18 PM

I can’t figure what in Gods name the Yankees are doing. Maybe they’re rounding up all the retread pitchers in the majors to open a rest home for the walking wounded. I’ll bet the Boss is rolling in his grave. I see they just missed out on Rich Harden, I read he’s already injured, too bad Cashman that one got away.

4. trevorb06 - Feb 17, 2011 at 1:19 PM

The Rockies already signed Maine so now the Yankees are scrambling some more. Pedro, where are you?

5. uyf1950 - Feb 17, 2011 at 1:22 PM

On a minor league deal I don’t see a problem. It’s no harm no foul. But I wouldn’t guarantee him a roster spot. Who knows maybe Garcia or maybe even one of the “Killer B’s” surprises in spring training. I’m guessing that unless Cashman makes a trade for a mid rotation starter the Yankees leave spring training with a starting rotation of: CC, Hughes, a rejuvenated AJ Burnett, Nova and Garcia.
    Mitre, becomes the long relief guy and the other relief pitchers are: Logan, Feliciano, Joba, Robertson, Soriano and Rivera.
    Like I said baring a spring training trade that’s how the Yankees break camp and head north.

• spudchukar - Feb 17, 2011 at 1:36 PM

UYF, I still maintain that Millwood is a better option than either Garcia or Colon.

• spudchukar - Feb 17, 2011 at 1:41 PM

By the way, is it Undying Yankee Fan?

• uyf1950 - Feb 17, 2011 at 2:09 PM

spudchukar – actually it’s Ultimate Yankee Fan.

• phukyouk - Feb 17, 2011 at 4:04 PM

so is 1950 the combined weight of the yankees pitching staff?

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 17, 2011 at 4:07 PM

They should sign Sidney Ponson, just to make us laugh.

• phukyouk - Feb 17, 2011 at 4:11 PM

seeing how well he worked out the first 2 times… why not? i say bring back Javy again.

6. uyf1950 - Feb 17, 2011 at 2:15 PM

spudchukar – getting back to Millwood. I doubt he is going to sign a minor league deal, but you never know. I wouldn’t be surprised if he holds out until close to opening day to sign a major league contract with perhaps the Indians. If he were to sign a minor league deal with the Yankees may the best reclamation project win the 5th slot in the rotation “for the time being”.
    I read on the “yankeeanalysts.com” blog he’s promoting Edwin Jackson as a possible or better alternative for the Yankees. If you want or need the link let me know.

• spudchukar - Feb 17, 2011 at 3:01 PM

UYF, yeah, I just saw something about Jackson too, and I agree wholeheartedly that he is the best option. I keep forgetting he is out there. I guess it is the cash, but he has to help to somebody.

• uyf1950 - Feb 17, 2011 at 3:19 PM

He may be. The issue then becomes he’s still under contract to the White Sox I believe and making $8+MM for 2011. That’s a lot of change plus what the Sox might want for what Jackson brings to the table.

• phukyouk - Feb 17, 2011 at 4:47 PM

how is Jackson available and not even on the Yanks radar?

• uyf1950 - Feb 17, 2011 at 5:11 PM

My friend, virtually every pitcher in the ML is available at the “right” price. The issue is the “right” price. $8.3MM salary and a prospect or 2 to the White Sox might be or is a bit high for what he brings to the table. At least until the Yankees see what spring training brings. Besides who says he’s not on the Yankees radar.

• phukyouk - Feb 17, 2011 at 5:51 PM

OH! i thought you meant he was a FA. he is not worth a prospect. i misunderstood. its ok cause by the deadline King Felix will be on the Yankees.

• Reflex - Feb 17, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Why do I get the feeling that that was an intentional shot at me? ;)

7. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 17, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Anyone know what his career numbers are in the Bronx? I’d imagine he’d get lit up like a UV lightbulb there.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 17, 2011 at 2:58 PM

He’s faced the Yanks 13 times, but only 5 games in Yankee Stadium (3 at YSII, 2 at YSIII). In the super small sample size of 2 games, he’s given up a triple slash of .347/.448/.673 with a .342 BABIP. So shelled is a way to describe it.

8. xmatt0926x - Feb 17, 2011 at 3:41 PM

He had a good couple years early on with the braves and 1 with the Phillies then it was like he lost his hunger for the game. He got fat and bloated with almost all bad seasons except for a contract year here and there. I read a story last year or so where Nolan Ryan had to sit him down and tell him he was dissapointed in his effort. Thats not good.

9. kinggeorge96 - Feb 17, 2011 at 3:47 PM

All these retreads are actually going to be genetically engineered into 1 pitcher… we’ll call him #5.

Gentlemen, we can (build) him. We have the technology….

• phukyouk - Feb 17, 2011 at 4:12 PM

i would pay to see that…

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. R. Castillo (3645)