Feb 17, 2011, 1:58 PM EDT
It’s been assumed that Johan Santana will return to the Mets sometime in the middle of the year, but the schedule has been somewhat amorphous. Today Sandy Alderson brought the specifics: Santana will throw from flat ground in three months, from a mound in early May and will return to throwing balls in anger and toward enemy hitters in late June or early July.
It’s a long timeline but Santana’s surgery was no routine thing. If I’m the Mets, the longer the better. And that’s the case even if everything clicks and they find themselves competing as late as Memorial Day. Dude is owed $77.5 million bucks over the next three years. Don’t rush it.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)