Cameron Maybin discusses his Panda Express tweets

Feb 18, 2011, 10:56 AM EDT

Cameron Maybin

I missed this yesterday, but apparently someone asked Cameron Maybin about that whole mess withe the Panda Express tweets:

“I’m on Twitter probation,” Maybin said through a big smile Thursday morning at the Padres complex. “I’m hoping we can sweep that one under the rug. I would like to say I love Panda Express. I have been going there since I was in high school. It’s the best cuisine around.”

He went to talk about how remarkable it was how quickly the fun little controversy spread.*  As someone who tweets a lot, I think about that stuff more and more.  Really, anyone who has any amount of readership on there is an exclamation away from infamy.  I think that’s simultaneously thrilling and scary.  Part of the deal, really. The immediacy is a two-way street.

*I don’t like the word “controversy” here because it implies some sort of legitimate question as to the propriety of the act when, in this case, it’s really not anything any reasonable person would really get mad about. It was funny.  At the same time, it was something that causes a stir, neutrally speaking, so it’s not sufficient to say “it was nothing.”

What we really need here is a single word that captures the following concept: “an incident that is harmless and fun and only superficially and comically troublesome yet that one that is still worthy of note for people who traffic in such silliness on a regular basis.”  I’m blanking.  Maybe we just need to make up one.  I’ll accept all suggestions in the comments.

1. Alex K - Feb 18, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Somebody call Joe Poz! We need a new word!

2. bigxrob - Feb 18, 2011 at 11:10 AM

I read an interesting article today over at baseball prospectus about a made up word and what it means, maybe that author could help you out with this conundrum.

• Craig Calcaterra - Feb 18, 2011 at 11:11 AM

That dude’s a hack.

3. Jason @ IIATMS - Feb 18, 2011 at 11:25 AM

“schadenfreumoment”

4. Jonny 5 - Feb 18, 2011 at 11:34 AM

It’s easy.

Call it an “Ozzie G”

5. jayseaver - Feb 18, 2011 at 12:08 PM

“Hullabaloo”

6. JB (the original) - Feb 18, 2011 at 12:19 PM

TMZwitter?

7. JB (the original) - Feb 18, 2011 at 12:20 PM

and TMZweet?

8. snowbirdgothic - Feb 18, 2011 at 12:32 PM

May I suggest “Kerfuffle”?

• sabosgoggles - Feb 18, 2011 at 12:38 PM

I’ve always been fond of “kerfuffle,” too. It kinds sounds like onomatopoeia.

9. CJ - Feb 18, 2011 at 12:40 PM

that pretty much sums up most Simpsons moments when Homer says “Doh”, so about, a “DOHmer”

10. ngearhart1981 - Feb 18, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Maybe I’m overreacting here, but I don’t really like the way this whole thing played out. Frankly, I think the PE guy who is the minority Padres owner should have issued an apology to Maybin for his bad PE experience, and made some sort of empty promise to get to the bottom of his less-than-satisfactory experience. But I’m a customer service guy.

• IdahoMariner - Feb 18, 2011 at 12:56 PM

that’s what I was thinking, too….

• Reflex - Feb 18, 2011 at 11:05 PM

I felt the same way. This seems overkill to shut up a player simply because some minority owner is the owner of PE.

That said, I’ve been horribly sick after Panda Express twice in my life. Decided against ever giving them a third strike. So perhaps I’m biased.

11. Panda Claus - Feb 18, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Craig, you had me at “Panda”.

12. anybodyinhere - Feb 18, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Muchadanada?

13. ditto65 - Feb 18, 2011 at 4:22 PM

“Nontroversy”

• bigxrob - Feb 18, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Not really a “new” made up word:

nontroversy
      Noun. A trumped up dispute, especially one fueled by undue media attention, based on a lie or statement taken out of context. The dispute is usually between sides holding opposing views, one grounded in reality and facts and other completely fabricated but irrationally clung to no matter the arguments against it.
      Anyone willing to invest 10 seconds on Google research will tell you that Climategate was a total nontroversy.

• ditto65 - Feb 19, 2011 at 8:40 AM

Sorry. I was not aware that it already existed. Guess there is no need to make up a word since “nontroversy” already exists. Of course my suggesting the use of nontroversy is a nontroversy in and of itself.

14. cur68 - Feb 18, 2011 at 10:16 PM

faux-versy; com on, how often do you get you use the X on the keyboard?

• cur68 - Feb 18, 2011 at 10:17 PM

sigh. Ok I work for Natinals advertising…

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey