Feb 18, 2011, 5:17 PM EST
Let’s just consider this another one of those posts where the headline says it all. But the guild requires a body as well as a headline so let us just note that Ken Davidoff is reporting that Beltran is feeling great and, unlike last year, is running without a brace on his bum knee.
This is a big year for Beltran, obviously, given that his deal is up after the season. If he can show that he’s healthy and that speed is still a part of his game, he’s going to make himself some money. If he’s gimpy and fragile, he’s going to be cast into that giant vat of once-great, but now merely good bats that make the DH/LF rounds each winter like Manny Ramirez, Johnny Damon and the like.
Based on how he was swinging late last year and these optimistic health reports, I think Beltran is likely to avoid that track and will be be a regular outfielder for a few more years. At least I hope so. I like watching the dude play.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 9
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 72
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 57
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)