Feb 18, 2011, 5:17 PM EDT
Let’s just consider this another one of those posts where the headline says it all. But the guild requires a body as well as a headline so let us just note that Ken Davidoff is reporting that Beltran is feeling great and, unlike last year, is running without a brace on his bum knee.
This is a big year for Beltran, obviously, given that his deal is up after the season. If he can show that he’s healthy and that speed is still a part of his game, he’s going to make himself some money. If he’s gimpy and fragile, he’s going to be cast into that giant vat of once-great, but now merely good bats that make the DH/LF rounds each winter like Manny Ramirez, Johnny Damon and the like.
Based on how he was swinging late last year and these optimistic health reports, I think Beltran is likely to avoid that track and will be be a regular outfielder for a few more years. At least I hope so. I like watching the dude play.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 16
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 58
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 53
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 46
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)