Feb 18, 2011, 2:03 PM EDT
Terry Collins, commenting on Luis Castillo not showing up to Mets camp until — gasp! — he was required to show up:
“I was hoping he would be here,” Collins said. “Yeah, I was hoping he would be here, just so I can get the conversation over. And, again, I’m a real believer in sending a message to the organization as a player.”
Yes, in Castillo’s case I can see the value in showing up early. He’s fighting for a job and it makes all kinds of sense to act like he’s fighting hard.
But has the idea of showing up early gotten out of control? Seems like everyone’s either doing it or talking about it. It won’t be long, I imagine, before even the non-bubble players are being thought less of for actually showing up when they are required to show up rather than appearing all gung-ho about it.
The NFL got into some trouble with this a few years ago with those allegedly “voluntary” minicamps that guys lost their jobs over if they didn’t attend. I wonder if we’re not heading in that direction in baseball too. And if the union is going to start saying something about comments like Collins’.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)