Feb 18, 2011, 2:03 PM EDT
Terry Collins, commenting on Luis Castillo not showing up to Mets camp until — gasp! — he was required to show up:
“I was hoping he would be here,” Collins said. “Yeah, I was hoping he would be here, just so I can get the conversation over. And, again, I’m a real believer in sending a message to the organization as a player.”
Yes, in Castillo’s case I can see the value in showing up early. He’s fighting for a job and it makes all kinds of sense to act like he’s fighting hard.
But has the idea of showing up early gotten out of control? Seems like everyone’s either doing it or talking about it. It won’t be long, I imagine, before even the non-bubble players are being thought less of for actually showing up when they are required to show up rather than appearing all gung-ho about it.
The NFL got into some trouble with this a few years ago with those allegedly “voluntary” minicamps that guys lost their jobs over if they didn’t attend. I wonder if we’re not heading in that direction in baseball too. And if the union is going to start saying something about comments like Collins’.
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 61
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 20
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 24
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 94
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)