Feb 18, 2011, 2:03 PM EST
Terry Collins, commenting on Luis Castillo not showing up to Mets camp until — gasp! — he was required to show up:
“I was hoping he would be here,” Collins said. “Yeah, I was hoping he would be here, just so I can get the conversation over. And, again, I’m a real believer in sending a message to the organization as a player.”
Yes, in Castillo’s case I can see the value in showing up early. He’s fighting for a job and it makes all kinds of sense to act like he’s fighting hard.
But has the idea of showing up early gotten out of control? Seems like everyone’s either doing it or talking about it. It won’t be long, I imagine, before even the non-bubble players are being thought less of for actually showing up when they are required to show up rather than appearing all gung-ho about it.
The NFL got into some trouble with this a few years ago with those allegedly “voluntary” minicamps that guys lost their jobs over if they didn’t attend. I wonder if we’re not heading in that direction in baseball too. And if the union is going to start saying something about comments like Collins’.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 0
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (135)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)