Comment of the Day: We live for baseball gossip!

Feb 18, 2011, 1:30 PM EDT

1932 poster

My half-baked “Metafans” idea from this morning is being better received than I thought it would.  I knew I should have (a) put it in a book proposal; (b) cashed an advance check; and (c) never written the book and than changed my identity.  Way easier than working for a living, ya know? Because, as everyone knows, books about esoteric baseball-related subjects bring forth tremendous advances.  I’d ask Rob Neyer about it, but he’s too busy swimming in piles of book cash to listen.

Anyway, I’ve received a couple of comments like this one from reader nyetjones:

[W]hat you call meta-fandom seems also integral to fandom itself. Maybe not the world series posters, baseball cards and strat-o-matic playing, but certainly things outside the game itself – e.g. DUI stories, contract disputes, hall-of-fame arguments – imbue the sport with meaning. I think the game in abstract, absent these external stories, would be way less enjoyable for a lot of people.

If you pay attention, it’s amazing how much of the coverage of sports could be construed as so much sewing circle gossip. It gets dressed in terms of “distractions” or “affecting team chemistry,” but ultimately it seems to point to a required interest in the players-as-people and not just baseball machines. How much of the commentary about Milton Bradley is strictly worried with how much his off-field troubles affect the games in which he plays, and how much is just a buzzing, tantalizing tale that gives him sone humanity, however flawed?

I think it’s a lot of the latter, and we’re not always that aware of it and/or willing to admit it.

I can tell you, based on the traffic numbers for this site and others for which I’ve written, the stuff surrounding the game is just as much if not more popular than the actual baseball content.  It’s not a representative sample, no, because people who read HBT are here willingly and presumably like the stuff we write about anyway.  But there are enough of you to convince me that — yeah — people are interested in the sewing circle stuff too.

Inded, it’s why I’ve always laughed when a commenter tries to insult me by calling me a gossip columnist. I don’t deny it for a second.  We just happen to disagree on the value of gossip, that’s all.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 18, 2011 at 1:36 PM

I guess I don’t think of you and Aaron as gossip columnists, because you’re not talking about what stupid Vera Wang dress Nicole Kidman is wearing to some benefit. Which further supports your notion that the quality of gossip we value makes all the difference.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 18, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Certain folks (mostly woman I would assume) would find that gossip to be of some sort of quality. You’re clearly biased is all I’m sayin’ (although I agree with you).

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 18, 2011 at 2:16 PM

To like gossip is to be bias toward it. Let’s just agree that the HBT boys be spillin some fantastic gossip every day.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 18, 2011 at 3:40 PM

But the Vera Wang stuff the Eagles cheerleaders wear is absolutely something to behold…[place cheerleader-beholding comment here].

(And I intentionally said “place,” rather than “insert” for obvious reasons. ;P )

2. aronmantoo - Feb 18, 2011 at 1:36 PM

It’s what keps us going untill the season starts

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 18, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Very true – Craig and Dierkes have kept me going for 4-5 offseasons now.

3. Jonny 5 - Feb 18, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Damn it’s true….. We don’t care about what movie stars wear to the grammy’s. But we’ll ogle at Cliff Lee wearing a “BOOM” shirt with a liberty bell on it and discuss to no end how he got such a treat when it was only created for the playoffs last season, and he wasn’t exactly playing for the Phills then.. And to think I looked down my nose at the Inquirer and People mag. I have to revist my whole uppity-ness now. I think I’ll call Miss Cleo and ask her what I should do….

• BC - Feb 18, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Just ask yourself, what would Brian Boitano do?

• Jonny 5 - Feb 18, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Well we all know what he doesn’t do. “He doesn’t take shit from anybody” just ask Brian Dennehey.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 18, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Cliff Less sucks, brah. His whole team sucks. Put that BOOM! shirt in your water pipe and take a massive ice-cold hit and…hold it….hold it….hold it….and breathe.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 18, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Everybody knows a waterpipe with a shirt in it won’t hit worth a sh——-. Braves fans, I’ll tell ya….. Y’all can’t cheer without getting all chop chop with your hands, and you don’t smoke your pipes right either.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 18, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Hahaha…Heyward doesn’t smoke his pipe right…yeah…that’s what HE said!!!!

4. nyetjones - Feb 18, 2011 at 3:11 PM

CotD! Mama would be so proud…

Just to clarify, I didn’t intend to insult anyone by invoking “gossip.” And I am on board with the value of gossip, too, especially that it humanizes the players in important, interest-creating ways. I do think it’s funny that a sportsfan who scoffs at People magazine and gets annoyed at the human interest segments in Olympics broadcasts will also commit serious brain time on Tiger’s escapades and Josh Hamilton’s recovery narrative.

Anyways, thanks for the shout out; brightened my day.

5. celebritygossipss - Jul 25, 2011 at 10:48 PM

Hi my friend! I wish to say that this post is amazing, nice written and include almost all important Celebrity Gossip. I’d like to see more posts like this .

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3757)