Feb 18, 2011, 10:02 AM EST
That’s what a Florida DUI expert who Jon Paul Morosi spoke with said. And it’s not because he’s a big baseball star: people with Cabrera’s record who did what Cabrera did — including the resisting arrest stuff — generally don’t do any jail time. They tend to get a six-month license suspension, community service, and an obligation to attend “DUI school.”
I don’t really know anything about DUI law. I had a client call me at midnight once saying he was getting arrested for DUI. He called me after he was pulled over and before the cop even got to his window. I knew I was out of my depth and called a lawyer who knew what he was talking about to deal with him. I also once took a taped seminar on DUI law to satisfy continuing legal education requirements, but spent most of the seminar blogging. And I wonder why I never made partner.
Anyway, it’s an interesting area of the law, and one that can vary wildly from state-to-state, as our conversation in the comments yesterday about refusing the breath test revealed. In Ohio you get scarlet letter license plates if you get a DUI. Fun times, even if they seem to be more gimmicky than anything else.
As for Cabrera, the guy makes $20 million a year. I hope he stops drinking completely because he obviously can’t handle it, but if he doesn’t, at least hire a driver, ya know?
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)