Feb 18, 2011, 10:02 AM EST
That’s what a Florida DUI expert who Jon Paul Morosi spoke with said. And it’s not because he’s a big baseball star: people with Cabrera’s record who did what Cabrera did — including the resisting arrest stuff — generally don’t do any jail time. They tend to get a six-month license suspension, community service, and an obligation to attend “DUI school.”
I don’t really know anything about DUI law. I had a client call me at midnight once saying he was getting arrested for DUI. He called me after he was pulled over and before the cop even got to his window. I knew I was out of my depth and called a lawyer who knew what he was talking about to deal with him. I also once took a taped seminar on DUI law to satisfy continuing legal education requirements, but spent most of the seminar blogging. And I wonder why I never made partner.
Anyway, it’s an interesting area of the law, and one that can vary wildly from state-to-state, as our conversation in the comments yesterday about refusing the breath test revealed. In Ohio you get scarlet letter license plates if you get a DUI. Fun times, even if they seem to be more gimmicky than anything else.
As for Cabrera, the guy makes $20 million a year. I hope he stops drinking completely because he obviously can’t handle it, but if he doesn’t, at least hire a driver, ya know?
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)