Rangers plan to explore contract extension with C.J. Wilson

Feb 18, 2011, 9:35 PM EST

CJ Wilson pitching

Rangers general manager Jon Daniels told Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com earlier today that he expects to discuss a contract extension with C.J. Wilson over the next several weeks.

Wilson made a sucessful transition from the bullpen to the starting rotation last season, compiling a 15-8 record along with a 3.35 ERA over 33 starts during the regular season. He also played a significant part in the franchise’s first ever World Series appearance, posting a 3.70 ERA over four postseason starts.

The 30-year-old left-hander agreed to a one-year, $7 million contract last month in order to avoid arbitration, but will be a free agent following the 2011 season. While there’s more of a sense of urgency to get a deal done with Wilson, Daniels also confirmed that the club has already held internal discussions about keeping other “core” players. Daniels didn’t go into specifics, but Morosi names Neftali Feliz and Elvis Andrus as possibilities.

1. gt929 - Feb 19, 2011 at 12:10 AM

Do it. If Wilson can improve his command (and I think he will), he’s Cliff Lee with better stuff, and he’d be the premier FA pitcher after this season. Last season was no fluke. Pay him eight figures now or nine figures later.

• uyf1950 - Feb 19, 2011 at 4:32 AM

How have you been my friend? Been awhile since you’ve posted something.

Makes sense about the money/contract, but don’t you think they would wait a bit and see if he can do it for more then 1 season before they invest say $70+MM over 5 years or so.

• gt929 - Feb 19, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Been good, sir, busy with a new job. Hope you’re doing well, too.

CJ Wilson is a very smart and determined young man. He’s had no injuries that I can remember. He’s totally bought into Ryan’s conditioning philosophy. When neither was pitching, he would nearly always be seen in the dugout picking Lee’s brain in the second half of last season. He is a clean liver- no drugs, alcohol, or tobacco. Very focused. I really think he is about to take the next step into being an elite pitcher. I feel the longer the Rangers wait, the more he’ll cost them, and if they wait until he becomes a FA, they could lose him- probably to the Yankees!

• uyf1950 - Feb 19, 2011 at 9:46 AM

GT – I’m doing well. I wasn’t implying that the Rangers should wait to FA to sign him nor did I mean to imply that he had any “issues”. I only meant to say that since he didn’t have a track record the Rangers might be wise to see how he performs say midway through the 2011 season to gauge the length and dollars of a long term deal. I’m sure you are right though about the Yankees. I’m sure if shows his stuff for another season the Yankees would love to sign him. Especially since he is a lefty and considering the flux the Yankee pitching staff is in right now.

• gt929 - Feb 19, 2011 at 12:52 PM

I was just listing the reasons I feel CJ’s 2010 was no fluke, and why I think he’ll be better this year. My opinion is that it’s a bigger gamble to wait than to sign him now, and I’ve been saying that in several forums all winter.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester